Error Indicator on FX3U-ENET-ADP

akhmadzaki

Hi all,
I have finished installing ethernet adapter module FX3U-ENET-ADP on the FX3U-48M PLC. From the ethernet module, i connected it to a wireless router and then i am planning of connecting to the ethernet module using GXWorks 2 on my laptop through wireless router. On the ethernet module, the error indicator LED is on (red). From the FX3U-ENET-ADP, it means that there might be setting or hardware errors.
I am asking if i have missed some steps on the installation process and if any of you have experience with similar problems.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Have you used GX Configurator -EN, this is the utility to configure the ENET card.

How do I physically connect the PC/laptop to PLC to configure this?
Do i need to connect ethernet cable from laptop to ethernet module or i need to connect to programming cable from PLC to PC/laptop?

Actually I'm getting confused, I thought you meant The FX3U-ENET this is slightly different, I assume you have the ADP module this fits on the left hand side, in that case you do not need the Configurator -EN you do it in the PLC Parameters go to PLC Parameter, select Ethernet port then assuming there are no other special communication adapters then select CH1
If you check the Open settings it will probably have a number of Melsec connections, there are others for example MC protocol (this is for programming).
Here is the link to the Manual
https://si3a.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/sl/dl/9939/JY997D45801-F.pdf

Enet.jpg

Actually I'm getting confused, I thought you meant The FX3U-ENET this is slightly different, I assume you have the ADP module this fits on the left hand side, in that case you do not need the Configurator -EN you do it in the PLC Parameters go to PLC Parameter, select Ethernet port then assuming there are no other special communication adapters then select CH1
If you check the Open settings it will probably have a number of Melsec connections, there are others for example MC protocol (this is for programming).
Here is the link to the Manual
https://si3a.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/sl/dl/9939/JY997D45801-F.pdf

Yes, I used FX3U-ENET-ADP on the left hand side of the PLC. Does it mean that i need to program PLC the first for setting the PLC parameter (using programming cable)?
Additional question: Does it matter what version of GXWorks2 that i used?

I have never used the ADP card as I use the ENET card instead, you need to configure as shown i.e. in the PLC parameter then download it to the PLC (PLC Parameters) It will depend on what you want to do with the card is this for programming or other function, if it is only programming then you need to obviously set the IP address etc. and use the melsoft connection in the open settings, if you are using some other then it will depend on what you are using. for example, On my ENET card I have the Melsoft connection & MC Protocol on port 5000 & 5001 for Kepware OPC Server.

I have never used the ADP card as I use the ENET card instead, you need to configure as shown i.e. in the PLC parameter then download it to the PLC (PLC Parameters) It will depend on what you want to do with the card is this for programming or other function, if it is only programming then you need to obviously set the IP address etc. and use the melsoft connection in the open settings, if you are using some other then it will depend on what you are using. for example, On my ENET card I have the Melsoft connection & MC Protocol on port 5000 & 5001 for Kepware OPC Server.

I want to use the ADP card for monitoring purpose only for now.
Is the red LED Error indicator on the ADP card caused by this?

If the Error LED is on (not flickering) then this is a configuration or hardware error, post the settings you have on the PLC Parameters for the setup.
Read section 10 of the manual to get an idea of the errors that can be seen using GXWorks.
I assume you have set the card up in the PLC Parameters and downloaded them, you will also need to re-boot the PLC.
If you are only going to use it for connection with GXWorks then you only need it's basic configuration so set to CH1, input the IP address (it defaults to 192.168.1.250 so change this to what ever your PC is (you need to set your ethernet on the PC to a particular address open up the network settings, select IP4 and configure the IP address you want. (if your IT Dept. control your PC you will need to ask them for a fixed IP range you can use).
The Open settings on the ethernet card default to 4 MELSEC connections these are standard for communicating with GXWorks & the PLC.
Here is the setup I would use.

FX Parameter.png PC IPv4 Settings.png

If the Error LED is on (not flickering) then this is a configuration or hardware error, post the settings you have on the PLC Parameters for the setup.
Read section 10 of the manual to get an idea of the errors that can be seen using GXWorks.
I assume you have set the card up in the PLC Parameters and downloaded them, you will also need to re-boot the PLC.
If you are only going to use it for connection with GXWorks then you only need it's basic configuration so set to CH1, input the IP address (it defaults to 192.168.1.250 so change this to what ever your PC is (you need to set your ethernet on the PC to a particular address open up the network settings, select IP4 and configure the IP address you want. (if your IT Dept. control your PC you will need to ask them for a fixed IP range you can use).
The Open settings on the ethernet card default to 4 MELSEC connections these are standard for communicating with GXWorks & the PLC.
Here is the setup I would use.

Actually, I have not yet programmed the PLC because at the moment the PLC is connected to HMI on the machine so I am afraid that if I unplugged the connection to program it it will make the connection error or corrupt the data.

As for the connection topology, is it possible to use wireless router to connect between PLC and the PC or I should always use wired connection (ethernet with hub)?

First of all, disconnecting the HMI would not loose or corrupt the program & if in doubt power it down first, remove the HMI then power back up. It is unlikely that they would have programmed something in the HMI to stop the PLC but may have some detection to stop the process in the event of HMI failure but unlikely and removing the HMI would not corrupt the program. Depending on the HMI many have a passthrough mode where if it has been programmed can use the HMI as an interface but will depend on the HMI. I would also go direct to the PLC using ethernet, however, until you program the Ethernet adapter settings in the PLC you cannot get it to talk. An ethernet switch would work but a router via wireless would be more difficult.

First of all, disconnecting the HMI would not loose or corrupt the program & if in doubt power it down first, remove the HMI then power back up. It is unlikely that they would have programmed something in the HMI to stop the PLC but may have some detection to stop the process in the event of HMI failure but unlikely and removing the HMI would not corrupt the program. Depending on the HMI many have a passthrough mode where if it has been programmed can use the HMI as an interface but will depend on the HMI. I would also go direct to the PLC using ethernet, however, until you program the Ethernet adapter settings in the PLC you cannot get it to talk. An ethernet switch would work but a router via wireless would be more difficult.

Do I have to change the ladder diagram of the PLC to be able to communicate with ethernet module, or I just need to configure the PLC parameter?

Just the PLC Parameter to go on-line with GXDev or Works, as it uses the Melsec connections there is no need to add any PLC code.

I sometimes forget that some people have not had much experience on a particular PLC and just want to re-iterate some checks you must do before changing anything.
1. Do a verify with the project and code for example when doing a verify check the tick boxes for PLC Parameter and PLC Program, if there are any differences then you need to update your file on your laptop.
Take the original project and save it as a separate project so you keep the original.
If you are only changing the PLC parameters, verify it is the same in the PLC as your backup, if not upload the parameters from the plc to your project and save it. It is also recommended that you upload the Device memory i.e. a snapshot of the data it contains (suggest you do this while the machine is not running i.e. in it's stopped state so any variables that may be altered by positioning of the machine, then you have a copy of data that may be set points either programmed when commissioned or set from the HMI.
Always keep backups of each stage so if something goes wrong you have a way back.