RS Logix/Studio Find in tags

bulletin blues

Lifetime Supporting Member
It seems like every time I try to find a tag in Logix/Studio 5000, over the past 15 years, when I select "Find in Tags" I need to go into the find within, and select all options.

It seems hit or miss as to which options are selected at any given time. I always select ALL the options, but sure enough, when I'm scratching my head and can't find a known description or base tag or alias, I find that I need to go back into "find within" and select all of the options. I know I have done this for every single controller in the plant multiple times for a number of years, and "saved."

This is across multiple revisions and multiple workstations. Does any one else have this issue? Or is it a feature?

Thanks

I have found to find an address the quickest way (especially with a packed L73) is to just hit Control-E anywhere and the type or paste (right click paste because Rockwell forgot to add the Control-V keyboard to the address box...typical) in the address you want and hit the Refresh button...at least for tags anyway. Because in a big program Control-F seems to take forever and then when it finds the first one it keeps searching, even if you hit Cancel it wont cancel.

Last edited:
I have found to find an address the quickest way (especially with a packed L73) is to just hit Control-E anywhere and the type or paste (right click paste because Rockwell forgot to add the Control-V keyboard to the address box...typical) in the address you want and hit the Refresh button...at least for tags anyway. Because in a big program Control-F seems to take forever and then when it finds the first one it keeps searching, even if you hit Cancel it wont cancel.

I was shaking my head at that as I was certain you could use CTRL-V. You can. You have to click in the Find What field though.

Back to the OP. I can't say that I have had to reselect my search settings in the Find Within section. But there are some things to be aware of.

The software remembers the settings from the last opened window. So, if you have two windows open, let's call them A and B. Then you make a change in Window A then open Window B. If you close Window A and then B, it will remember the settings from Window B.

Now with search, you can only have one "Find" window open, but if you had two copies of the software running and had the search opened in both, you could run into this.

Also, the settings are saved based on the user that is logged in. If you have a shared computer and another person uses the computer with a different Windows login, they will have their own settings saved. But if you share a login, any changes they make would affect what you see.

I was shaking my head at that as I was certain you could use CTRL-V. You can. You have to click in the Find What field though.
I am curious where you are finding a Find What field in the Cross Reference that JaxGTO is talking about.

You are correct, I was referring to the search (Find) window and not the Cross Reference to which Jax was referring.

I've run into that issue in other software too. Something about a particular combo box that doesn't allow keyboard shortcuts. It isn't just CTRL+V that doesn't work.

Cross Reference is my preferred search method too. But since it is limited to complete tag names sometimes you just have to use the Find.

OG

I am curious where you are finding a Find What field in the Cross Reference that JaxGTO is talking about.

This one:
view

Cant get pic to work but if your in ladder and hit Control-E on an address its the Name: filed on the Cross Reference window.

Last edited:
This one:

Cant get pic to work but if your in ladder and hit Control-E on an address its the Name: filed on the Cross Reference window.

I was well aware of what you meant. I was pointing out (somewhat sarcastically) that despite quoting you OG was talking about something else.

Annoyingly the search box in the Standard Toolbar also does not seem to allow keyboard shortcuts.

As for your image, it appears at some point Google disallowed hotlinking of drive images, at least via their generated share links.