Motor Star/Triangle Start

What size is motor? How is it being used?
Does the motor application require star/delta start?
If you do not need reduced current or torque during start of star, then you can start/run delta, but you will see more current during start.

Last edited:
In USA is anyone allowed to play with electricity?
+1 to Australian Ian for suggesting to the OP get any electrician, obviously this (seeing how he started the name calling) loser (has no idea what he is doing) is doing something that could kill someone, l would suggest you don't give him anymore info and sleep easy at night.

Thanks rupej, rightly or wrongly in Australia and New Zealand, they believe that electricity is dangerous and you need to be a registered electrician to play with it, to be registered you need to have done a 4-5 year apprenticeship. No wonder you have people asking basic questions (no background in electricity), because anyone can play with electricity and try and kill themselves or others.
The biggy over your way is litigation, l wouldn't be saying anything to anyone about electricity when they could come back and sue you for them doing something wrong.
Go the USA

Guys im an engineer. im no dumb who doesnt know what he is doing.

Just had a question as anyone can have..

This topic wasnt about if i should use a DOL VFD Softstarter etc.

m going to use star/delta because the motor power is greater than 5hp and wont start it DOL (high inrush current, etc) and already have spare parts to do it like this

I just got confused with the 220/380/660V in the nameplate,

But here it looks if you have a doubt you cant ask.. because you treat guys like they know nothing.. (not everyone)

anyway many people answered different things.. so it wasnt so straight the answer for the ones that think they are god and know everything..

Thanks the ones who answered in a good way

case closed!

Yes, it is crazy here sometimes.

In Canada it is shockingly insane. I sometimes almost with for people dying as a result of incompetent/criminal work in hope that would bring change.

Last one I heard was "there's junction box right there, just tap into it"

On the subject though, I don't see anything wrong with asking and increasing one's knowledge. Untill hios last post there was no indication he was going to do it himself. I don't do the work myself but I like to know as much as possible.

Last edited:
Ok, i have been reading so thanks for nothing Australian jerk.

The folks on this forum quite often disagree. They almost never resort to insult and ad hominem attacks when they do. If you can' maintain professional standards in your comments you can be barred from the site.

I like to here that. I have stoped visiting other sites because people are just plain old nasty. But have never really seen that here.

HC, you mustn't be an nginer because that's what nginers in USA must call it, because joaco1993 is an nginer so he must have been taught that meaning at university.
Anyone playing with electricity should know that is the delta symbol.

Thanks Tom for pulling him up, l apologies to stooping to his level, but l found his remark disgraceful.

HC, you mustn't be an nginer because that's what nginers in USA must call it, because joaco1993 is an nginer so he must have been taught that meaning at university.
Anyone playing with electricity should know that is the delta symbol.

Thanks Tom for pulling him up, l apologies to stooping to his level, but l found his remark disgraceful.

Here we go again.. because i said triangle instead of delta you can lower me down and be sarcastic with USA engineers ?

Im not from USA, I studied in Mexico and moved to USA later.

In Mexico star/delta we call it "estrella/triangulo". Sorry I translated it wrong! didnt know you will not answer a question because of a misspelling.

Put aside the "jerk" word which was offensive and shouldnt have told it. The rest of the posts (not all) instead of helping are to lower the other person and do sarcasm. Instead of doing that why dont you answer to help ?

When somebody ask something is because he wants to be helped, not to be sarcastic with him.

Just saying..

I am trying to figure out how Star got into this conversation. Based on nameplate data, that is a motor that can be run at 2 different voltages, but only in Delta. A picture of the nameplate would help, because there is a lot of confusion here about what this motor actually is.

All good jaoco. I think you were under pressure a bit having to work the Christmas period. Sorry your thread turned into this.
Let's bury this thread in the hole that 2020 was and all have a wonderful new year. Glad you figured your motor wiring out in the end.

Some people can be a bit touchy about being called a jerk, but I get what you mean, my comments weren't helpful to you while you were just trying to get some work done.

jaoco1993

Think of this site like you would Facebook
Filter out the bs and opinions.

Like the evening news. It’s become more opinion