1756-M16SE faults out after power cycle

tingvaldson

After cycling power to the panel, we have to reset the sercos card through the program in order for the card to reach the running state.
I have been having problems with one of our lines for quite some time. We have a 10 slot chassis with a 1756-L72S, a 1756-L72P, a 1756-M16SE (sercos card), a 1756-IB32/B, and a 1756-OB32. The 1756-M16SE is connected to twelve 2094-SE2F Drives and seems to run flawlessly once everything has booted up successfully. The problem is that if we cycle power to the panel the sercos card faults out when booting up and we have to go into the program and manually reset the sercos card before it boots up successfully into the running state. When the card faults out we get the message Module Fault (code 16#0022) An invalid reply was received. The controller could not interpret its meaning and the left most indicator light (CP) flashes red and the other two lights (ring and OK) flash green. The program is at version 30.012 and the sercos card is at revision 30.001. I just replaced the sercos card with no change in behavior. Again when I first power on the panel the sercos card will fault out, I can then go to the properties of the 1756-M16SE card and reset the module under the module info tab, the card then resets and the status goes from faulted to running.

This isn't a huge deal when we have a technician in the plant as we don't have to de-energize this panel very often; however, on the weekends when production is running and the technicians are off, the area electrician ends up cycling power repeatedly (which sometimes works and sometimes does not work). Has anyone run into a similar issue before that could give me some direction as to what I need to do to fix this problem. As a side note we have the same system on the other side of the room and have never had an issue with the sercos card faulting.
I am unable to share my ACD file here due to size restrictions, but if you are interested in giving me a hand I have also posted this same question on the Rockwell Knowledgebase Forum and I was able to attach the ACD file there (at least it looks like the file is attached to my question there).

I'm open to any and all suggestions if someone can lend a hand (or brain).

Thanks,

Tim

I will try firmware upgrade of 1756-M16SE , the latest is 33.001, if that doesn't work, a temporary solution is to add a power up fault handler routine to clear the fault.