Compact Logix Firmware Error

junior

I'm trying to install the latest firmware v17.07 on a compact logix L32E processor and when it gets towards the end, I keep getting an error message "Failed to begin update to the target device. The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update."

Any advice on what could be causing this?

Yes, the key switch was in the program position and it's a brand new L32E processor. Actually I have new processors that I need to put the firmware in and they both showed this error. I'm wondering if it's something with the firmware

I recently "semi-bricked" a new one by forgetting to uncheck BootP after setting the IP address.

It gave a different error than yours after getting done with the first part of the firmware download. It lost its IP address after the first power cycle (becuase BootP was still enabled), and apparently had more updating to do.

I was able to default it (remove the battery, wait thirty minutes), set the IP address again and uncheck BootP, and finally got the firmware to load but still got a funny error at the end of the process, although the CPU appeared to be okay.

Then, I could get the thing to run a program anywhere from 30 seconds to 30 minutes and then it would "wipe" itself. I eventually had to exchange it for a new one. I learned my lesson about BootP and being extra super careful doing firmware updates.

EDIT: I was using firmware 17.5.60

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip, but I was using the serial port on it to upload the firmware, so I didn't have to set the IP address. This error also happens at the end of the process and the processor seems fine. I'm able to upload a program into it. I'm just curious to see if anyone else has received that error or some insight on what it might mean.

The knowledgebase AID 44379 has some tips:
Make sure the power supply is within 4 slots of the CPU and the endcap is installed.
If using a dual core processor, disable dual core functionality for controlflash.
Start the controlflash utility from the windows start menu. Do not start it from within RSLogix5000.

Another technote says that after switching to program mode, the CPU may need to be power cycled, and one customer said the key had to be in remote program mode.

Have you looked in the ControlFlash log for any errors?

Thanks for the help. The power supply is right beside the processor and then the end cap. I didn't have any I/O connected. I didn't try to have the key switch in the remote program mode, so I can try that. Here is the end of the log file:

08/26/10 07:19:00 [SUCCESS] Update: Instance = 3, Size = 2045916 byte(s), Chunk Size = 256 byte(s), Major Rev = 17, Minor Rev = 7

08/26/10 07:51:53 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11007: Service cannot be performed while device is in current state.
GS=0x10, ES=0x2018

08/26/10 07:52:19 [FAILURE] Reset:

08/26/10 07:52:19 [SUCCESS] Update: Instance = 11, Size = 1834808 byte(s), Chunk Size = 256 byte(s), Major Rev = 0, Minor Rev = 0

08/26/10 08:21:43 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11007: Service cannot be performed while device is in current state.
GS=0x10, ES=0x2018

08/26/10 08:23:36 [FAILURE] Reset:

08/26/10 08:23:38 [SUCCESS] Update: Instance = 65535, Size = 1572864 byte(s), Redundant update bypassed

08/26/10 08:23:38 [FAILURE] Reset: Error #11007: Service cannot be performed while device is in current state.
GS=0x10, ES=0x2018

08/26/10 08:23:42 [FAILURE] Reset:

08/26/10 08:23:45 [FAILURE] Device Identity: Error #11006: Service cannot be performed while object is in current state.
GS=0x0C

It appears to take 30 mins to failure .

Is it that your laptop is going to power saving mode by shutting off ports, or bringing up the screen saver.

When control flash I feel you need to baby sit the unit and just move the mouse pointer every few mins, just to let the laptop know you are still there and using it.

It appears to take 30 mins to failure .

Is it that your laptop is going to power saving mode by shutting off ports, or bringing up the screen saver.

When control flash I feel you need to baby sit the unit and just move the mouse pointer every few mins, just to let the laptop know you are still there and using it.

I think the whole update takes almost an hour because I'm doing it over a serial connection. I have all the power saving features turned off on the laptop to prevent the laptop going to sleep. The only thing that happens is the screen turns off, but everything else is turned on.

You can configure the Ethernet port even with just the boot firmware installed.

Just browse to it with RSLinx Classic, set up an IP address, and use the Ethernet port for the firmware load. MUCH faster.

In addition to Ken's advice, use a desktop if possible to avoid power saving settings issues, use a crossover cable to avoid network traffic problems, and remember to turn off BootP after setting the IP address!

Ok, so I did the firmware upgrade using the ethernet and everything went fast and smooth. Perhaps the error was because of the serial port.