Markem-Imaje EtherNet communications

I came across this thread while trying to figure out how to talk to this Markem that I have. Hopefully someone can shed some light on what I'm missing. I'm no expert on ascii commands by the way!

A while ago at my company someone set up a Micrologix 1400 to send data to a Markem printer and it worked fine.
I'm using a CompactLogix L23 with ASCII module in an attempt to do the same thing (The printer was added to a system, so I can't change PLCs).

The printer is the same model from the previous job, I verified the cabling is correct, Baud, Parity, Stop, Data parameters are all identical. I even hooked up a Micrologix to the printer to verify the old logic still worked.

The Micrologix would send the following string: ^B~JS0|image1|0|TEXT_0|0123456789|TEXT_4|1 2 9 4|^C

Basically just selects a job and inserts numbers into 2 different fields.

Sending that same string from a CPS gets me nothing. I tried replacing the ^B and ^C legacy commands with STX and ETX as stated in the Markem guide but no luck.

I have a feeling it has something to do with the Termination Mode/Delimiter in the ASCII card's configuration.

The Micrologix is set up for
Termination 1: /d
Termination 2: /ff

Obviously the 1769-ASCII doesn't have those options. I've tried selecting the different options in a spray-and-pray attempt one would work but still nothing.

Any ideas?:unsure:

Are you getting anything at all from the ASCII module on the CompactLogix?

Try hooking it up to your laptop serial port and see what you get in Hyperterminal or Realterm.

Never heard of Realterm - that worked much easier than Hyperterminal.

I'm receiving the string I'm sending out:
^B~JS0|image1|0|TEXT_0|0123456789|TEXT_4|1 2 1 4|^C

I'll hook up the 1400 to my PC as well to compare the actual data from that since it's been working. Hopefully that might shed some light because I'm running low on beers!

Update:
Hooked up the 1400 and it returned this to my PC:
(STX in small characters, they didn't copy over)~JS0|image1|0|TEXT_0|0123456789|TEXT_4|1 2 1 4|(ETX in small characters, followed by a Carriage return)

So now I'll have to get the CompactLogix to send that exact string and all *should* be well. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to report what I find!

Last edited:
In your PLC logic add $02 to the start of your string and $03$0D to the end of your string before triggering the ASCII module to transmit to add <STX> and <ETX><CR>.

I ended up figuring that part out - I expected the termination settings of the card to change that a bit but I never saw a difference with any configuration.

I got the CompactLogix to send out the exact string of the Micrologix and it still didn't work!
So after reading the manual for the 100th time I saw they had a jumper on pins 7&8 of the ASCII module. I added that and the Markem finally accepted the string!
I don't even want to think about why the standard AB serial cable works for the Micro and from the Compact to my PC but not the Compact to Markem.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

NOTE: This is for NextGen Markem printers only using NGPCL.

It's quite straightforward.
You send an ASCII string to the printer and you'll receive one back.
String looks something like:
STX|*command to printer*|*parameters for command*|ETX

Response looks something like:
STX|*reply*|*parameters (if possible)*|ETX

Note the usage of "|"

Example of string to select a job:

STX|~JS|*name of layout/job*|ETX

~JS is command for Job Select.

Example of job update:
(values update which it needs to print)

STX|~JU1|*Job name*|0|*parameter name*|*parameter value*|...|ETX

You can add several parameters as long as the packet does not exceed the transfer byte limit. Don't know the limit by heart though.

If you want, I can PM you the NGPCL user guide.
Explains ethernet comms to NextGen markem printers.

Is the 9040 and/or 9042 a NextGen printer?

NGPCL code

I can work with both NGPCL and DCP protocol via ethernet port. Both are easy. What do you need? Can you write in detail please? I can help you. (Which program are you using? (for receiving data from MI))

I know this thread is very old. But I am attempting to communicate with Omron NJ PLC and Markem Imaje 9450E. I would appreciate any code samples that you can give me. Omron NJ socket sends via Byte array (HEX). So I am converting ASCII to HEX when sending. Not sure if I should be converting or try to send straight ASCII. If you are still following this thread. Please send code to [email protected]

Markem Imaje Ethernet Communications

Start a new topic, 9000 series are different.

Okay, So the 9000 series are different. In what way? And why start a new thread? This Thread is about Markem Imaje Ethernet communication to PLC. That is what I am trying to do. I am using Omron NJ501-1320 The 9450 is running Windows CE is the biggest change that I see. Does this mean that the printer is no longer running NGPCL? Are there special characters needed in the code?o_O Help a brother of the trade out here(y) Getting information from Markem Imaje is like pulling teeth

I tried to send an .image file to a Smartdate X40 using NGPCL without success. I'm able to communicate using the FT and FD commands with the device and when I upload the .image file, I get no errors. Then when I go on the Smartdate Console, I get a failure to open .image file. I'm trying to replace the need to load my .image file with a USB key. I tried to send the .job file and I also get a failure to open the job file. When I export the .image file that I uploaded to a USB key and do a binary compare with the original, they are identical. Has anyone been able to send an .image to the Markem printer? Thanks for any help you can provide.