Windows XP Pro And Dos Software

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi All

I was on site the other day and I could not get on line to
a Mits plc with Medoc but I had no problem with Gppw.
This was not any problem but when I tried to get on line
to an AB 100 and Ab 150 I could not do this either.
This is a new laptop I got only 2 weeks ago and I am
just wondering if any one else has come across this
with Windows XP Pro.

Many thanks

Donnchadh K.

I had so many problems trying to run DOS programs on my laptop I went to a local used computer store in the middle of a service call & bought the oldest laptop (cost me $50.00) they had. It was loaded with Windows 95 that I can boot to DOS - not Windows - and loaded it with all my DOS programs.

It runs DOS programs a lot better than any Command Prompt Window, and was definetly worth the Fifty.

The ONLY drawback is carrying around 2 laptops in my truck - but still worth the effort.

Hi All

Thanks for the replys.I will try the vpc for a while and see how
it works.

Thanks again to all at this site for helping me once again

Donnchadh K.

XP and Dos packages............

What works for me is far cheaper than buying a dos emulator......
I just create a shortcut to the executable and change the compatibility mode to windows 95 under the properties for the shortcut. This allows direct access for to the com ports that the dos package is requiring and XP doesnt normally allow.

Works fine for me on my XP system with the SLC100 programming software.

Dave

shortcut.jpg

Compatability Mode

Compatability mode only works for "some" software. Those old DOS programs that controlled the serial port hardware directly can not be fixed with this method.
So, try this first you may get lucky, but I know that it does not work with AB SLC100/150, GE L1F and Medoc Software.

but I know that it does not work with AB SLC100/150, GE L1F and Medoc Software.

Add to that list Siemens Programware ver 4.23 for programming Cincinnatti A725 CNC controllers. It will run very buggy in any Command Prompt Window, no matter what the version of Windows, or with any compatibility mode setting.

The only reliable way to run Programware is boot to DOS.

dos with win2000

have same problems trying to run old dos or any programs that use the serial port under win2000. has anyone else experieced same problem.
I have to manually go in and reload the serial port drivers even though win2000 says it is working fine.
this allows me to connect, but have constant disconnects.

any advice
thanks

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hope my system doesn't read this and decide to stop working with my SLC100/150 and Medoc packages.........
:D

Try it guys.........like I said......works fine for me on XP on a dell inspiron 8000 2.4 ghz..........

Dave

Hey Dude's,

Mr. Gates doesn't own your computer.. and why spending so much money for a dos-sim...

Try the old day method, insert a bootable disk in your A-drive with dos.. it works !!!
(as long you have a FAT partition on your HDD)

HI Guys,
Has anyone been able to get the following software to work on an XP machine? If so How?

LM1
Ge Fanuc Series 1 Version A-C
LM1F
Ge Fanuc Series 1 Version D-F

Actually, Virtual PC from Microsoft is FREE. You can download it from www.microsoft.com. However it does not support any USB devices requiring special drivers to be loaded. So if you need say a USB to Serial adapter, or USB drivers for new PLC devices like Mitsubishi that have USB programming ports, Virtual PC isn't going to work for you.

VMWare Workstation (from www.vmware.com) costs more, but it does support USB drivers, and even Vista, so for those who want to run Vista in a virtual machine while still being able to get work done in XP, it's a great tool.

I take the same approach as mentioned before, I keep an old 233 MHZ laptop around loaded with Windows 98, and I can boot it to DOS for those really old systems. But you should try to upgrade to Windows software whenever possible, as nobody is still updating or improving their old legacy DOS products.