1756-ENBT communication issue. MSG Reset help!

mustbemad10

Hi all.
I have having issues with a 1756-ENBT module.
I am unable to communicate with it...
It doesn't recognise a connection when an ethernet cable is connected.
I have a spare ENBT module & I can connect to that, although it isn't happy going through a switch - I need to investigate this further, but that isn't my issue today.

The module in question powers up OK & goes through the normal sequence of checks on power up without reporting any issues.
I can view the card through the backplane when connected to the CPU via RS232 & it doesn't report any issues in the config window in Logix5000.

I have tried flashing the firmware to 4.8, 3.9 & 2.4 - which is what is printed on the label on the side.
I've had the most success with the 2.4 in that the OK LED stays a solid green & the NET LED flashes, nothing on the LINK LED.
For the other 2 firmware versions I only have a flashing green LED.

I have looked to see how to reset the module to factory defaults, but I don't have the correct account to see the page detailing the MSG reset on the Rockwell website.

Has anybody had similar issues to this & found a way out?

As the card isn't reporting any issues, then I'm really hoping it isn't faulty. So I'm hoping a factory reset where it wipes everything would fix it.

Also, is there any way in that I can test the actual port on the module? I thought about making up a loop back connector to see if that would at least show whether the TD & RD data are talking.

I was going to wire it as: 1 & 3 linked & 2 & 6 linked.

I have looked in a manual & it seems only pins 1 (TD+), 2 (TD-), 3 (RD+) & 6 (RD-) are used; I got this info from the Installation Instructions manual on page 17.

Thanks for the help! I will keep my fingers crossed for some pointers!!

I dont know a way to reset back to factory other then opening it with your RS232 (or other enbt) and in the back plane view using RSLinx you can right click then click on configure and reset

Any chance you have two of the same IP addresses on the same network?? just a WAG

Thanks for the reply.
I've checked the IP settings & there aren't any clashes :(

I will have a look at that reset in Linx.

I have read in the manual that you can reset it via the rotary switches (which the ENBT doesn't have), or via a MSG instruction... - See pic.
Its from the Installation Instructions Manual for Ethernet/IP Modules, p54.

Cheers.

Reset.JPG

Unless this is a redundancy system, you should not be using any firmware except 6.006.
Firmware 2.004 (2.4) is 14+ years old and there are multiple changes and improvements were introduced after that version and final release 6.006

All above does not apply if module used with redundancy system.

I have looked to see how to reset the module to factory defaults, but I don't have the correct account to see the page detailing the MSG reset on the Rockwell website.

Flashing the module, to any revision, will "restore factory defaults".

As for the IP port configuration, can you test it without the switch ? Just take a standard CAT5 ethernet cable to it from your laptop, and see if you can see it in RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver.

Obviously you have to have compatible IP's and subnet masks.

Check the IP port configuration is set to "Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex". If it isn't, and you have other devices on the network that are half-duplex, this may be what is stopping the ENBT from communicating.

If you can't see it directly, with a good CAT5 cable, with the IP's correct, then the module must be faulty....

X2 on what daba said about the firmware flash restoring it to factory defaults.

I sometimes change 2-3 ENBT cards in 1 day due to failure.(harsh environment/heat) I have seen several that failed just as you describe, net light blinking, everything seems just fine looking at it through the rack but it will not communicate through the Ethernet port. You can set the ip address through bootp or rslinks and connect to it with a computer in the same ip range and do a simple ping test in command prompt. That should work if the card is good, otherwise I'm afraid you have a bad ENBT card.

You said you can see it through the back plane. If so, right click on the module in links.
go to the bottom tab. Module configuration. You should see a tab, gen. click on port configuration. Change it there.

I sometimes change 2-3 ENBT cards in 1 day due to failure..

Wow... we need to talk :) we offer a repair service and also good pricing on used and new ones

You also may want to add a AC/cooler to the cabinet it would be a lot cheaper then changing out a few enbt's or anything else that may fail, hope your not running 1756-L8x cpu's your company can go broke on a hot day

Similar Issue

Check the IP port configuration is set to "Auto-negotiate port speed and duplex". If it isn't, and you have other devices on the network that are half-duplex, this may be what is stopping the ENBT from communicating.

Hello Everyone

Can anyone give more details on where to set "Auto-negotiate" for port speed and duplex settings on a 1756-ENBT/A. I have a similar issue with setting up a Produced/Consumed tag between a 1756-ENET/B and a 1756-ENBT/A.

Regards,
Sydney

Port Configuration

Thanks geniusintraining

I will verify the port configuration tomorrow but I don't believe there is a check box for Auto-negotiate below the Host Name or the Current Port Speed/Current Duplex fields. Not sure what firmware the module is currently. If these configuration fields are not there could it be a firmware issue.

I will post findings tomorrow.

Thanks Again.

Regards,
Sydney

Thanks geniusintraining

I will verify the port configuration tomorrow but I don't believe there is a check box for Auto-negotiate below the Host Name or the Current Port Speed/Current Duplex fields. Not sure what firmware the module is currently. If these configuration fields are not there could it be a firmware issue.

I will post findings tomorrow.

Thanks Again.

Regards,
Sydney

It is definitely there on a Rev 4.7

If you can get online to the controller (Serial or USB) double-click the module in the I/O tree and choose the tab "Port Configuration" of the "Module Properties" dialog.

Settings for "Auto-negotiate" should be there also. There is also a "diagnostics" button you can view the internal counters.

Is the display scrolling the IP Address, then "OK" ??

2018-03-01_083945.jpg 2018-03-01_084013.jpg 2018-03-01_084957.jpg