Compactflash for Panelview 1000

sreev

I have read some messages regarding use of compactflash memory with a PCMCIA adapter for Panelview terminals. I have a standard Panelview 900 Color Keypad FRN 3.30. Has anyone had a bad experience using compactflash cards with standard Panelview terminals? Do they work similar to A-B flashcards where a PVA program can copied from PC and then transferred to Panelview? This would be a lot cheaper alternative to buying PCMCIA flashcard from A-B. I have a few 8MB compactflash cards lying around and a PCMCIA adapter is <$10.

In general, they work fine; you can "Save As *.PVA" or Download to Card, and just plug the card into the terminal's PCMCIA socket.

Of all my customers (and myself) who use CompactFlash and a Type II PCMCIA adapter, I've only had one report of a card that didn't work. If you have a problem, A-B won't support 3rd party cards, and general-purpose cards aren't rated to the same temperature and vibration standards as the PanelView terminal.

I keep haunting e-bay looking for bulk 8-MB CompactFlash surplus so I can package them as giveaways for my PanelView class.

There are some compatibility things you should know; ATA type cards won't work with Classic PanelView 1200 or Enhanced PanelView 1000e/1400e terminals, or with PanelView Standard terminals prior to Firmware 3.00 (including the old PV550 1.05 terminals).

A Source

I have a couple of PV 550's and will soon be needing ATA cards for them, anyone have a good source they are willing to share. I have a few weeks lead time so slowboat shipping is fine.

Thank you

Ken,

Thank you for the informative reply. All my Panelviews are standard 3.0 or later. This option will save us a lot of money compared to buying A-B cards. I use flashcards so that customers can download my screen updates to the terminals without needing Panelbuilder software or a PC.