Allen Bradley 5830 PLC- Safety output module issue

pembuk

Dears,

I have problem with 5069-obv8s, trying to use it for a first time just to power relays. All outputs are in internal fault, even if their are not conected. The card is set to use single output as safety outputs. Additional power on LA+ and LA- ports is connected. I don't know what else should I checked to fix this problem. There is no problem in controler or this specific modul just on all of outputs.

Cheers

Have you set which mode they are? Bipolar or Sourcing? How are you using them? Also, what fault info are they giving you?

Hi Jeev,

Yes, the module is set as sourcing, I tried also bipolar with the same effect.
Safety output module is the last on the rack and there is only one 24vDC power supply in the cabinet. So we use the same source to power MOD and SA and L+/L- . The fault info is only about internal fault of each output. Module is well communicated with CPU and there is no fault in it, as you can see on I/O configuration tree.

Please check if there is no issue with wiring, I don't really know if it's correct.

The wiring seems incorrect. The architecture suggests you are using BiPolar, but I'm not sure about the wiring on terminals 2-9. Terminals 0-1 are wired correctly for BiPolar operation. I've attached what I think the wiring should look like.

Drawing.jpg

I'd be very interested to see a correct 5069-obv8s wiring diagram for single channel sourcing. (Sil 2) If anyone has correct wiring documentation, I am doing my first guardlogix project and want to make sure I have everything set up correctly, info on this is hard to find so I bought the full membership here and have been trying tech connect but getting a knowledgable safety guy is difficult on a Friday apparently.

I was also curious at the "power supply" option in the configuration, does that just make that output a constant 24V?

Thanks

The following provides the Safety AT (Application Techniques) documents for AB devices. You want to find an example with similar devices as yours'. A little known trick is that many of these PDFs come with project files as attachments, but if you are only viewing the PDF then you won't notice this.

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...-data/functionalsafetydocum20180905-1614.html

For example, this one comes with a number of files related to realising the example:

https://www.rockwellautomation.com/...tml#gate-f9a662e3-537b-48f5-9c80-c07d1475c4e5

Last edited:
Oh thats awesome thank you!

One more quick question, When i powered up the panel for test, the red light on the status pane for energy storage fault is on. I did a little research and found articles pointing to controllers made in 2014 having bad capacitors, but this is a brand new controller.

What could possibly call this? It also did NOT show up in the minor fault log, i had every box checked and nothing in there.