PowerFlex 40 / 22-COMM-E - Does this card hold it's IP Address ?

Cydog

Good Morning ,

This morning we had a overreaction by our maintenance group. They replaced a bunch of 22-COMM -E cards , without setting IP Addresses . Because of time they are running them in local. What I would like to do is put all the cards they took out and assign them their IP Addresses outside their drives and install later . The IP Addresses stay on the cards in and out of the drives , correct ?

Thanks again ,

The IP Addresses stay on the cards in and out of the drives , correct ?

Correct.

What I would like to do is put all the cards they took out and assign them their IP Addresses outside their drives and install later.

You will need to install each of the the 22-COMM-Es onto a 'live' VFD in order to set an IP Address either via on-board HIM module or BOOTP Server (if the communication modules are still DHCP enabled).

Thanks ,

"if the communication modules are still DHCP enabled "

If not , how do I enable DHCP again ?

Depending on your switches, this may be an option for you. I'm a bit vague since our IT guy is the one who does the Cisco config.

Set the cisco switch as a DHCP server
Set the address 'range' for each port to begin and end on only one address.
- 192.168.2.81 for port 1, 192.168.2.82 for port 2, etc
Any DHCP enabled device that plugs into one of the ports set up this way will get the 'right' IP address.
*DON'T MIX UP THE CABLES!*

We have labels that strap around the cat6 and can be read - not easily, but they can be read.

The only negative I have found is that when you are trouble-shooting a cable, you can't plug into another port to verify whether it is a switch port problem or a cable end problem. You need to bother an IT guy to change the config of the switch, or check if the port is working for you.

DHCP =..."a network management protocol used on TCP/IP networks whereby a DHCP server dynamically assigns an IP address and other network configuration parameters to each device on a network so they can communicate with other IP networks."

All new Ethernet devices are defaulted to 'DHCP Enabled'; in order to set a Static IP Address one would need to disable DHCP; BOOTP Server is a network utility which allows the disabling of DHCP and the setting of a static IP Address.

Most of the automation world Ethernet devices carry static IP Addresses; if your 22-COMM-E adapters were previously functional, they most likely have a static IP Address assigned.

Refer to
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/22comm-um004_-en-p.pdf

for 22-COMM-E configuration and functionality information.