GE Fanuc 90-30 350 CPU software & cable

technolog

Lifetime Supporting Member
We have a machine that we need to get running that has a GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC with a 350 CPU. It also has a Motion Mate DSM302 module. What would be your best guess of the programming software I need to be able to get an upload and diagnose why it's not in run mode? I've done a little research and it seems Logicmaster90 or Versa Pro are the likely candidates.

We already have what appears to be a third party programming cable from plccable.com. It's marked with part number IC690USB901. Is that the cable I need?

The PLC was in run mode when we first powered it up but the run LED spontaneously went off without the power going off (or so I'm told) - the BATT LED is on so that's a concern. We've ordered new batteries but are keeping it powered up until they arrive and are changed.

Is there any programming in the Motion Mate module? There's a COMM port on it that looks like an RJ11 or similar. What would I need to be able to upload any programming out of there?

The same question goes for the IC752DPA062-BB HMI.

Last edited:
The current GE programming software is called Proficy Machine Edition. You can use it to extract the program from the PLC even if what is there was written with Logicmaster or VersaPro. Be aware that you will only get the ladder logic and there won't be any rung comments or variable description if you pull the program from the PLC. You will need the project files from the original programmer to get the documentation.
The cable you have is what you need. It connects to the fifteen pin serial port on the power supply module for the same rack as the CPU. If your system has additional I/O racks you can't use the port on the power supplies on those racks for serial communications.
To determine what shut it down you will need to get connected to the PLC, look at the fault tables, and clear the fault(s).
When the BATT LED is lit it indicates a low battery, so you need to keep it powered until you can install a new battery. The battery is located behind a cover on the power supply module.
There could be a program in the motion control module, but many systems don't make use of that feature.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve, that's very helpful. Do you have 2 cents worth to chip in about getting an upload out of the HMI?

That's a Datapanel HMI, programmed with Wincfg software. It was declared mature more than fifteen years ago. GE had a checkered history of partnering with a succession of companies to bring an HMI product to market. The Datapanel line was one of them.
You can try Qualitrol http://www.qualitrol.com/c-379-quickpanel.aspx for help with it if it isn't working, but It's going to be hard to find anybody who remembers it. I think my copy of Wincfg software resides on my Windows NT laptop. Every time I think I need to boot that up I have to hold my breath and hope it gets through the power-on tests. If I still have installation media for Wincfg it will be on 3.5" floppies.
Based on the fact that your system came with such an old HMI, I'd expect the PLC was programmed with Logicmaster.

My boss has found what appears to be the Logicmaster software and manuals for sale on eBay and has bought it - we don't have it yet. In other threads, I've seen mention of a fully functional trial version of the Logicmaster software, with links to download it. Unsurprisingly, the links no longer work. You wouldn't happen to know the whereabouts of a link to it, would you, Steve?

Also, you mention having the installation floppies for Wincfg. My boss would be happy to pay $50 if you would mail them or a copy to us along with details of the programming cable required.

I didn't say I still have installation floppies for Wincfg. I said that IF I had them, they will be 3.5" floppies. IF I can locate them (it?) there is no guarantee I'll be able to read them. From past experience, floppies I can read on my NT laptop aren't always readable on my XP laptop. It's a head alignment issue. The last time I did anything with Wincfg was back when I was still working for a GE distributor. I left that position in 2000.
That link to a demo version of Logicmaster was for an old version. It might even be too old to work with your CPU350 or it might not run under any OS newer than, say, Windows 98 or Windows 2000. Your best bet for obsolete GE stuff is that link I gave you. It will cost more than eBay, but they will stand behind it.
Have you tried talking to your local GE distributor? They might have someone who can come in and help you out. Or they might be able to put you in touch with someone who knows his way around GE gear.

We already have what appears to be a third party programming cable from plccable.com. It's marked with part number IC690USB901. Is that the cable I need?

technolog said:
My boss has found what appears to be the Logicmaster software and manuals for sale on eBay and has bought it - we don't have it yet.

Thanks for the purchase... but as stated in the listing that cable will not work with LM90 https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-snp-usb-plc-programming-cable-90-30-90-70-usb/ ... you need a real serial port on your PC and you need to use a serial cable, see the link below for the cable you need

https://www.plccable.com/ge-fanuc-snp-plc-programming-cable-90-30-90-70-micro-serial/

I would do as Steve recommended and call your local GE sales rep and have them come out, most can help and save you lots of time and money

Best of luck!

I looked through my trove of 3.5" floppies for Wincfg software and all I was able to find are labeled "Disk 3 of 5" and "Disk 4 of 5".
I found a sales brochure dated 1998 for the full line of Datapanels which also mentions Wincfg software. The brochure doesn't include any information about what cables you need to communicate through Wincfg. Given the time frame I'm assuming it was serial communications, but whether it used the same port as for communicating with the PLC or whether there is a dedicated programming port I don't know.
I found another old sales brochure from just after GE acquired Total Control Products and started promoted the Quick Panel line. That was dated 2001. Somewhere between 1998 and 2001 GE consolidated the Datapanel line into only a few low-end models and abandoned the rest along with Wincfg software.

Thanks for looking, Steve.

We had a programmer come in that we've used before. He had the software (LM90, VersaPro & Proficy) and the ACC901 serial cable but little knowledge. However, between us we managed to get the PLC in run mode by clearing the PLC & IO fault tables.

The machine is running auto cycles (it's an Eagle IO-3000 tube endformer) but we still have a few issues though.

We can't get an upload from either the PLC or the HMI and areas of the HMI touch panel are unresponsive. We have an identical HMI that we're trying to swap the touch panel out of.

We're using the ACC901 cable with a USB serial converter. It connects okay and we can see online PLC data etc but when we try to get an upload, it cranks through it (we see various .pdt files and PLC registers mentioned on the screen) but exits with the error

"The configuration version of the binary is 0x90009. This Series 90-30configuration software does not support a configuration version greater than 0x80008!"

This is, I believe, the Proficy version of the error, though I'm fairly sure we've seen a similar message on all three programming platforms. I've attached a photo of the Proficy error dialog.

I haven't seen it but my boss assures me that he's seen errors that mention the program being in SFC and we're wondering if that may be something to do with why we can't get an upload and get the error message above. Any ideas, Steve?

20180611_130045small.jpg

If the program in the PLC is in SFC it must have been programmed using Logicmaster. Neither VersaPro nor Proficy support that option. However, you need the SFC add-on for Logicmaster to be able to view or make changes to the program. If you only need to view it and you have the Logicmaster file, you can print a copy of the program to a .txt file and view it that way.
The error message may be due to a mismatch of the CPU selection. When you create a new project folder to extract the PLC program into, the default CPU choice is not the CPU350 and that may be what is causing that error. Before uploading from the PLC try changing to a CPU350 in hardware configuration and see if that helps. The error message looks like it was generated by a Windows application , so I don't think you got it when you tried to upload using Logicmaster.

Hello everybody

Im looking for something to unlock locked functions in GE 90/70 plc logic. Is there any application similar to Siemens s7 know how unprotect?

Thanks

If the program in the PLC is in SFC it must have been programmed using Logicmaster. Neither VersaPro nor Proficy support that option. However, you need the SFC add-on for Logicmaster to be able to view or make changes to the program. If you only need to view it and you have the Logicmaster file, you can print a copy of the program to a .txt file and view it that way.
The error message may be due to a mismatch of the CPU selection. When you create a new project folder to extract the PLC program into, the default CPU choice is not the CPU350 and that may be what is causing that error. Before uploading from the PLC try changing to a CPU350 in hardware configuration and see if that helps. The error message looks like it was generated by a Windows application , so I don't think you got it when you tried to upload using Logicmaster.

We did change the hardware configuration to match the PLC before attempting an upload.

We have Logicmaster but we don't have the SFC add-on (as yet, we're trying to source it). Neither do we have the PLC source files. We're just trying to get an upload so that, when the PLC goes down in the future, we can get the customer back up and running again.

This is the thread that led me to the conclusion that the missing SFC add-on was the problem:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=107440