stratix in IO tree

the_msp

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am using a 1783-MS10T with an L16-ER. Does the switch have to be added to the IO tree? If I configure it will it work, I just won't be able to pull diagnostics from it etc, but it will still work as a managed switch with IGMP etc?

I ask as I currently have 4 (the max) E/IP nodes. I have a point rack that only has 2 cards that I can drop and use the local 1734 expansion on the CPU.

If I want both I guess I can upgrade to an L18 (8 E/ip nodes).

Last edited:
Absolutely, it will still do its job as a managed switch. You can write MSG instructions to it if you really feel the need to get diagnostic data out.

On the L16, those connections are precious and I wouldn't use one on switch diagnostics if I didn't have to.

No need to put it in the IO tree. The only time I do that is when I have switches on the system on different subnets from my primary access net, that way I can configure them through Logix... well, sort of. The interface is really awful and clunky in Logix, it works, but it is annoying. The web interface is better.

If you need alarming, use the alarm contact output from the switch to a simple input.

Huh... I wonder if putting it into the I/O tree and then Inhibiting the connection would still allow the AOP-based configuration to work, while not taking up an Ethernet "node" for the little CompactLogix.

Unfortunately not...

Verifying Controller...
Verifying Module 'Discrete_IO'
Verifying Module 'manifold'
Verifying Module 'Epson'
Verifying Module 'SMC_LER'
Verifying Module 'RIO'
Verifying Module 'stratix'
Error: The maximum number of nodes on the local Ethernet port has been exceeded.
Verifying routine 'MainRoutine' of program 'MainProgram'
Verifying program connections
Cancelling download...
Complete - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Just an official rubber stamp on your query...

493693 - When to add the Stratix 8000/8300/5700 to RSLogix 5000's I/O Configuration
Access Level: TechConnect

The built-in Web interface, that is "Device Manager", is definitely better than Logix 5000/Logix Designer for configuring the switch, although it is painfully slow updating and changing between pages.

Having the switch in there is useful if you want to easily use its predefined faceplate for a HMI application. I'll actually be adding a faceplate today to a project under commissioning all week. We have a Stratix 8000 with full expansion to 26 ports, so it's quite useful to have a quick visual diagnostics representation on the HMI for that many ports.

If it was me, I would always try to allow for spare Ethernet nodes for the future. But, I can understand application size/budgetary constraints. The fact you have mentioned it is an option to go to the next controller up would make my mind up for me, if it were my application.

Regards,
George

Hi George, thanks, unfortunately, I don't have techConnect.

When you say faceplate, I take it this is for FTV SE applications?

My HMI is Ignition SCADA with the web-browser module. Therefore in the HMI directly I can show the Stratix Device Manager (password and user level protected).

The technote is very short but to the point - something I often struggle to acomplish...

A Stratix switch appliance will operate as normal, within a Logix based integrated architecture, without residing in any existing controller's I/O Configuration. The option to add these switches into the application is purely provided as an auxiliary and convenient method of exposing their data, both diagnostic and configuration, to the end user and application.

In fact, out-of-the-box these switches with neither addition to any I/O Configuration or even basic configuration, such as Express Setup, will begin operating immediately, albeit as unmanaged. They do not even require an IP address to be assigned. As they are essentially running Cisco IOS firmware, they are designed at the basic hardware level to provide data propagation and/or routing capabilities. Configuring them is what indirectly makes them now "managed" and more efficient at handling end device data by customizing port roles, etc.

Yes, the faceplate is for FactoryTalk View ME or SE. You use an AOI which essentially handles the standard messaging to the switch to pull the required data. For third-party HMIs you could still use the AOI to populate the tag data for display but the "RPI" of the AOI is quite slow as it's configured to work with the faceplate which refreshes more infrequently. You could modify the AOI or, alternatively, with the switch in the I/O Configuration, you could access the higher "RPI" module-defined (I/O) tag data for the switch externally for displaying in Ignition. This might be a better solution if you'd prefer not to have anyone actually logging into the Device Manager switch configuration at all via the Ignition web module.

Regards,
George

Having the switch in there is useful if you want to easily use its predefined faceplate for a HMI application
Just want to clarify that V10 Faceplate AOI does not require switch to be in the I/O configuration.
the "RPI" of the AOI is quite slow as it's configured to work with the faceplate which refreshes more infrequently.
You should not change update rate of AOI because it can easily overload the CIP Object of the switch.
you could access the higher "RPI" module-defined (I/O) tag data for the switch externally for displaying
There is a very limited information in the module defined tags, AOI pulls much more information.

Also, some information AOI pulls only based on the current display to reduce messaging load on the switch. If you are planning to use AOI on other displays, you should check these conditions in the AOI logic.

In fact, out-of-the-box these switches with neither addition to any I/O Configuration or even basic configuration, such as Express Setup, will begin operating immediately, albeit as unmanaged.
I would recommend not to do that, running Express Setup is required step to load a minimum configuration.

Last edited: