Cam controller FM352 help please

kevbloke

Hello,

I have an Alfa quatro bottle labeller which is being a bit grumpy at the mo.
There is a blade on drum that rotates and this in conjunction with a stationary blade cuts a length of label which is then applied to a bottle.
The drum is controlled by an encoder whish is connected to a FM 353 cam controller.(PLC 315/2DP)
When the operator sets up the label he has to input length, window of operation and cam zero point.
He aligns the blades, presses "zero cam" and this tells the cam controller the zero point.
This machine is normally very well behaved but at the mo it's stopping occasionally saying "cam needs zeroing".
This is normally only the case if there is a change of label or length deviation.
I have checked the encoder and all seems ok through 360 degrees.
If the output m8.0 goes high, the cam needs re zeroing. I have posted a screen shot of the program and i wondered if someone could shed some light as to how m8.0 is generated please.

Kev

Only the obvious springs to mind: The encoder is momentarily loosing its supply or the encoder is faulty. Is it getting progressively worse? Is the encoder belt driven. I had one fail. Without belt tension, it worked perfectly, but with the belt on - it stopped counting!