RS5000 Software Activation

darkesha

Hi, this is my first time ever to work with activations or anything like that in terms of software. I run Open Source, and while i used to run Windows i used cracked programs and cracked OS. Not nice, but MSoft wond go bancrupt.
So now i am having this problem with activation of RS5000 (V16.03). I had to download the file on computer that is connected to the internet, and copy it to the default folder on computer where I installed the software. All I got is litlle txt file. Now I am not sure what I am supposed to do.
When I start Actiavtion tool, I dont see anything else except RSLogix5 under Current Activations. Also, when I go to Settings I think I should get the options for Starting and Stopping of the activation server (lmgrd.exe), and its grayed out. It seys that service has not been installed as a windows service. Is this only for allowing this station to be a server for other rs5000 users or it is actually for activation ?
Any light in this tunnel would be greatly appreciated. I can use this software for next 7 days so it is not that critical.
Thanks everyone.

In version 16 and later, Rockwell will be activating the software online as you described. Unless you need a certain function in version 16, it might be easier to drop a version and use the standard activations. FYI

You really need to read about the FactoryTalk Activation tool before you start installing licenses. I can't really talk you through the exact steps, because we use developer kits. Fortunately, those aren't on the new license system yet.

Basically, what I've been told of the new system is that there are two ways you can assign a license. You can have them locally hosted, which is probably what you're trying to do. Or you can have a license server, which will allow you to share licenses in your office. When you use the server option, they've done some things to accomodate laptops that may go off network, out to the field, and get lost.

In either case the easiest way to activate software is over the internet. You need to run the FactoryTalk Activation Client (I'm not 100% sure on the actual application name). I suspect that you're currently using the old application, EVMove, to detect the Logix5 license that you mentioned.

When you run the activation software, it will prompt you to select a piece of hardware in your computer that the license will be locked to: a hard drive, network card, and some other option, if I remember correctly. It's not necessarily an easy choice, especially on a laptop. You never know which of those devices is most likely to fail on you.

The one time I used the activation software I assigned the license to a network card on a server. Later on, I applied adapter teaming on the server and that broke the license. For whatever reason, the activation software couldn't see the network card once it was part of a team. I wasn't about to assign the license to a hard drive, because the server was a RAID 1 configuration. We pulled the drives out all the time. It was handy for installing software, because you could keep a backup.

"I suspect that you're currently using the old application, EVMove, to detect the Logix5 license that you mentioned."

Not really. I followed the manual and I open FactoryTalk Activation Tool, and under the tab of Current Activations RSLogix5 pops out with all of the details about its (activated) state. I would assume this tab should pick up RS5000 as software that is to be activated since there is refresh button with "browse for available activations on start-up" option to be checked out.

"When you run the activation software, it will prompt you to select a piece your computer that the license will be locked to: a hard drive, network card, and some other option, if I remember correctly. It's not necessarily an easy choice, especially on a laptop. You never know which of those devices is most likely to fail on you. "

Yes, I choose a hard drive serial number in order to get the activation file from their website.

"The one time I used the activation software I assigned the license to a network card on a server. Later on, I applied adapter teaming on the server of hardware inand that broke the license. For whatever reason, the activation software couldn't see the network card once it was part of a team. I wasn't about to assign the license to a hard drive, because the server was a RAID 1 configuration. We pulled the drives out all the time. It was handy for installing software, because you could keep a backup."

No, I do not need licence to be stored on server hard drives. I tied it to this host's hard drive, and in the case we get other machine I am planning on transfering it onto the new one.

Thanks for replies, and I hope I was more clear this time.

problem solved

the problem existed because i got the registration file with extension that was like lic.txt.
when i deleted the .txt part, activation tool did its job and everything is ok.