convert A-B RIO to ethernet

EffSee

Hello, I am in need of an upgrade on my machine that is using A-B remote I/O and i would like to convert to ethernet. I would like to start with the HMI first. I am converting the comms setup from RIO to ethernet and it will not validate because too many errors. How do i do this? is there an easy way?

You need to start by stating what platform / processor.
AB has PLC-2's, PLC-3's, PLC-5's, SLC's, Micrologix, Compactlogix, ControlLogix, SoftLogix...

My mind reading powers are failing me.

i changed my node in the tag editor from SLC to my new name of compactlogix along with ip,path,and node typr and it validated my changes. Now when i try to import into Factory talk i get (error) reading application file. file cannot be loaded. Why would it validate in Panelbuilder but not import into factory talk?

Since you have changes the plc processor from a slc5/xx to a compact logix,
you need to convert not only the comms, plc type and node, but you must also change all the tags in your app to to fit the compact logix addressing scheme as well.

that means every screen, every pb, I/o point, all addresses, anything related to the slc 5xx must be converted.
someone please correct me if I am wrong.

regards,
james

You don't HAVE to convert. You can setup Mapping instead. Essentially you can create an array of integers and map that to "look" like N7 or whatever integer (or float) file you want to use.

So to the device at the other end My_N7_Array[0] = N7:0
And so on. Of course the name of the array is up to you.

If it is FactoryTalk ME/SE, there is no need to import tags from the Logix controller. The controller read read those tags directly.

OG

ok that would be on the PLC side of the conversion. Im having trouble with the PVP. iI have all the tags switched to logix schem and i get all errors. Ex; error (9436)[Tag:auto] adress is invalid. They all have error 9436 by the way.

ok . i found that i had to change my node type to contrologix 5000 then validate changes. Then i had to go back and change my INT to DINT. after that no errors!