Trouble finding work...

KingPresident

Hello gentlemen. I have earned my plc programmer certificate from George Brown College. I also have 4+ years of experience in automation control. I've also gotten a fair bit of HMI experience. I trained on A-B and professionaly used eaton, idec, and phoenix contact.

It seems the farthest I get in the interview process is "too bad you're not a journeyman electrician, or we sure could have used you."

Would it be a good move to start an electrical apprenticeship program?

My first impression is the same as Paully's5.0's. What types of jobs are you applying for and at what type of facility?
The maintenance shop of a manufacturing facility will be looking for a different skill set than the engineering department. A machinery builder will look for a different skill set than an end user of the same machinery.

Hello gentlemen. I have earned my plc programmer certificate from George Brown College. I also have 4+ years of experience in automation control. I've also gotten a fair bit of HMI experience. I trained on A-B and professionaly used eaton, idec, and phoenix contact.

It seems the farthest I get in the interview process is "too bad you're not a journeyman electrician, or we sure could have used you."

Would it be a good move to start an electrical apprenticeship program?

Have you tried independent automation contractors? What about seeking a support position with automation equipment vendors?

EDIT: I would say that basic knowledge of control wiring and instrumentation is a prerequisite for a competent automation systems programmer, but I wouldn't think that an electrician apprenticeship would provide much training in those areas. You don't really need to be an expert pipe bender or wire puller.

Last edited:
Since you already have +4 years experience and classes, I hesitate to say go electrician.

But if I'm going to be honest, electricians can get paid WAY better than salary guys. Unions right now are doing at least $45 ~ $49 an hour and that is before over time and double time on Sundays. (So, only 50 hours a week a guy at $49 could make $140,140 in Washington.)

PLC generally is salary from what I have seen.

EDIT: I would say that basic knowledge of control wiring and instrumentation is a prerequisite for a competent automation systems programmer, but I wouldn't think that an electrician apprenticeship would provide much training in those areas. You don't really need to be an expert pipe bender or wire puller.

No, but it sure helps.

As an electrician turned engineer, I can tell you that the apprenticeship can provide you with experience that would take decades (if ever) for you to get otherwise. I also enjoy a level of respect that you don't see given to engineers (without donuts and coffee).

I don't know what the rules are in Washington, but in Colorado it used to be that if you were an engineer, then you get two years credit towards your license.

But I think that the OP needs to spread his wings a bit, and look outside of his general area, there's plenty of work out there.

PLC programming is just one of a multiple of tools you need.
When you go to a job, you have to be armed with all of them.

It's not much use if you can only do the laptop work...

You have to know 'electrics' you have to know how machines work, what sensors, what to do with analog signals, motor control etc etc.

If you don't know all these - then you have to get a job where you can learn them

Since you already have +4 years experience and classes, I hesitate to say go electrician.

But if I'm going to be honest, electricians can get paid WAY better than salary guys. Unions right now are doing at least $45 ~ $49 an hour and that is before over time and double time on Sundays. (So, only 50 hours a week a guy at $49 could make $140,140 in Washington.)

PLC generally is salary from what I have seen.

Only 50 hours a week??? I'm aiming for a "4 hour workweek!"

Had enough doing 42 hours... too much living to do! :p

If you're having trouble finding work, there are placement companies that can help. I was contracting and started to run out of possible work in the area, decided to submit an application to Aerotek (they are out in Washington too). Had a guy contact me within a month, and two weeks later I had an EE position at an automotive. I was in a similar boat, lots of programming experience but not much of the knowledge of electrical controls (usually the distributor I work with handled all the specs and the company paying us handled all the wiring).

I was just open and honest about my limitations with Aerotek, and the company I work at now was happy to hire me with the expectation that they would train me up on that front while utilizing my programming skills. Aerotek did all the leg work for me, they get paid a head hunter fee based on hiring salary by the company that hires you so they have a lot of incentive to place someone like an EE.

I agree with LoganB, try to contact recruiters (I have used Aerotek myself). They will help you look for work, even if you don't end up getting a job offer you will probably get a good idea of what kind of jobs are out there and they will probably keep your resume on file if a future opportunity opens up.

KingPresident:

Can you get a 4-year college degree (instead of just a certificate)? It'll open more doors for you, and pay you better in the long run. So many job descriptions today start with "4-year degree required in EE (or CE, or CS)".

As an electrician turned engineer, I can tell you that the apprenticeship can provide you with experience that would take decades (if ever) for you to get otherwise. I also enjoy a level of respect that you don't see given to engineers (without donuts and coffee).

As the controls guy, you're THE guy, and need to know the jobs of everyone around you. The buck pretty much stops here, you're the last step in building a machine.

As someone who came straight in as an engineer out of college, and has been doing mostly programming type work since, it's amazing how hard it can be to learn the practical side of the trades (some would say "the other trades", but that's a discussion for another day). I understand the theory of wiring sensors, analog, etc.

But you ask me to wire up a panel from a print? No chance it will pass a quality inspection or look nice. Bites me in the rear all the time. No idea how to get that experience, short of quitting my job and becoming an apprentice for awhile.

Last edited:
My experience is that there are plenty of jobs for programmers out there. That can do hands on electrical, and is willing to travel. Being wiling to travel is HUGE, that alone can yield many opportunities in itself.

Try searching for; Controls jobs, Service Tech/Engineers jobs that need programmers, also try contract opportunities as well. These alone WILL yield an opp for sure.

I have to agree with the other guys above, find a recruiter and be honest about your skills. As far as the 4 hour work week, I'm dreaming OF a 40 work week.

Good luck.