rs5k module discovery error

scott.lawrence said:
...I get an Error...

"...an Error..." is a little too vague Scott.

What does the error state or does the applet just crash with no actual error message?

Regards,
George

scott.lawrence said:
no error, other than 'Error Starting Module Discovery'

No error except the error, hehe. See what difference two little ' ' can make?...

1032357 - 1756-L83E: Module discovery from the Ethernet network does not work
Access Level: TechConnect

If you can't access the technote then let us know.

Regards,
George

So I ran into this too......

I reached out to Tech Support and they confirmed the issue on the 1709 build of Windows 10. It occurs on all revs of Logix that I tried (20,21,28,30). I tried newer and older builds of RSLinx. I uninstalled and reinstalled different Logix versions. Nothing cleared it up.

I just installed Logix v31 last week and it cleared up the problem.

and just a note......the error text is part of the Discovery display. It is not a pop up and there is no error code and it occurs when adding modules in the local chassis as well as remote modules. So that Tech Note has nothing to do with the error I was seeing. They pointed that to me also even though the problem for me had noting to do with adding modules over Ethernet.

OG

Last edited:
What controller are you using?

How are you going online? - Example: Embedded Ethernet port or Ethernet communications module.

G.

it's a 1769 L35E controller, online via embedded ethernet

but this happens when I'm connected to other controllers as well... a 1756 L63 and a 1769 L24ER QBFC1B

both the L35E & L63 are version 20.1, and the L24ER is version 30.

scott.lawrence said:
it's a 1769 L35E controller...

As I'm sure you are aware, that is a CompactLogix controller and so is the 1769-L24ER. The Module Discovery option does not support the 1769 CompactLogix modules as they cannot be added online. They must be added to the project offline and then downloaded.

Only 1756, 1715, and 5069 modules can be added online...

492329 - How to use Module Discovery Feature
Access Level: TechConnect

(I know you cannot read that technote. I've posted it for the benefit of those who can.)

However, not supporting certain modules should not result in the error message you are receiving. The Module Discovery applet should open and show unsupported modules but with a specific message which prevents them from being created in the I/O Configuration.

I've just gone online to a running CompactLogix 1769-L32E and the Module Discovery applet opened as expected.

CompactLogix incompatibility aside...

The 1756-L63 controller at firmware revision 20.xx should work as Module Discovery was introduced at v20 software and the 1756 modules do support online addition. Also, the issue mentioned in the first technote I posted should not apply to the L63 as it does not have an embedded Ethernet port. That technotes instructs you to go online via the controller's embedded Ethernet port instance instead of the controller instance on the backplane. Both allow you to go online but only the embedded instance will work for Module Discovery. Also, just so you are aware, that first technote also shows a screenshot of the same error you are receiving.

There is something in general preventing it from opening for different versions of software and different platforms. Possibly a common component at fault, but which?

G.