SLC504 Can't connect PC to RS232 but can connect through SIXNET Modem on RS232 port

caseyswett

Please Help :)

I have been fighting an issue. Currently a have a group of SLC504's that I work with that I have to dial into to program. I have been trying to connect locally via the RS232 port on the SLC504 but have had zero luck.

Currently the SLC504's are each connected to a SIXNET Industria Modem VT-MODEM that I can dial into and then I can connect to the units via RSLINX. Using DF1 and autoconfig settings after dialing in.

Each unit has a PV1000C that I can connect via a straight thru cable via the RS232 port on each of them. However, can't see the PLC I assume because of a lack of pass thru.

I have been trying to connect to the SLC504's directly using a NULL MODEM cable and a straight thru as I have heard of people having luck with either depending on their situation. Neither cable works or allows me to see anything with a serial connection from my laptop to the SLC.

What I don't get is why I can connect via the SIXNET phone modem and not directly using the same settings.

I have tried matching the baud, parity, stop bits and changing flow control from none to hardware. I have also tried changing the FIFO settings as well as disabling them.

On each setting change I try connecting with the DF1 driver and config the same as with the phone modem.

RS232 DF1 devices
COM 4
SLC-CH0/Micro/Panel View
Station ID 00
Baud 9600
Parity NONE
Stop Bits 1
Error Checking BCC
Protocol FULL DUPLEX

The settings above are the same as in the RSLOGIX PLC program. Node is 30 and the Station ID is 9 I believe. Again, I can see all of this when connected via the SIXNET modem, but not with a direct Serial Connection.

I have also gone as far a trying via a older gateway desktop via Windows 98. Again here can't connect via serial but can connect just fine through the phone modem.

The laptop which I typically use is a DELL D800 with built in seria port. I only tried the desktop to eliminate the chances that the com on the laptop didn't work as desired.

Does anyone have any suggestions? What am I missing? It has to be something so simple that I'm staring it in the face and don't even know it.

Thanks for the help!
Casey Swett

can you plug into the PV and see the PLC. Its been a while for me but I use to connect to the plc through the other port on the panel view.

Last edited:
I can't see the PLC through the PV. The panelview is connected to the 504 via DH+.

But, once connected via the SIXNET phone modem to the 504 using their supplied straight thru cable I can see both the PV and the 504.

I have tried both a standard NULL cable and a straight thru.
Thanks for the help
Casey

Can a person use just a standard NULL modem cable? But then I've seen other posts on here where people have said they've used a straight thru. Which should it be? Does anyone have a good pinout for a 504?
Thanks for the help
Casey

SMOKE... thanks very much for the reply. Yeah any pinouts you have would be great. No I guess I don't have a UIC cable so I will have to make one up tonight and see what happens. I guess I've been getting confused with the NULL cable and didn't realize I needed something entirely different.

With this UIC cable will I still use the DF1 driver like I do when I connect through the SIXNET phone modem?

Thanks again,

My current cable has the pinout:

5------5​

3------2​

2------3​

7------8​

8------7

Except it also has
1-1
4-6
6-4
9-9

Can I simply cut out those pins and keep using the cable or are these pins also necessary?​

Alright... Made the new cable based on the pinout SMOKE supplied. Now during autoconfig it negotiates and picks up the settings except now it gets to testing BCC and now I get an error...

UNABLE TO VERIFY SETTINGS DUE TO NAK

I've double checked comm port settings and tried turning flow controls on and off. Now everyonce in a while now my RS232 light on the cpu flashes, so that's good.

Any ideas?

I'm guessing that the serial port on the 5/04 is setup as a half duplex slave. If this is the case the only option you have would be to connect with DH+. Unless your are lucky enough to get the DF1 Slave driver working. I have not had much luck with that driver.

If you have the offline file for the SLC5/04 then tell us how the serial port is configured. If it is configured as DF1 half duplex slave then you can use the DF1 Polling master driver in RSLinx.