PLC test

HS1

I have to interview some candidates, and looking for a standard TEST which I can use to evaluate the candidates for the job. Does any one has something like this. Standard Q&A will be appreciated.

Hello HS1;

What position do you wish to fill? What qualities/knowledge do you need to find in your candidates?
There was a post recently on this forum on standard electrical tests, maybe that can help you evaluate basic knowledge of technical savvy of your candidates.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

The position is a PLC engineer who will be responsible to carry on SW, and HW engineering and implementation as well as site activities (commissioning and startup) He will be sole player per project reporting to project manager.

The position is a PLC engineer who will be responsible to carry on SW, and HW engineering and implementation as well as site activities (commissioning and startup) He will be sole player per project reporting to project manager.

Hello HS1;

Here is a link to the threasd I was talking about earlier:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=25787&referrerid=3176

Not exactly a standard test but lots of excellent ideas. I hope none of them are copywrited...

Remember that on top of technical and programming savy you seem to be looking for someone with experience, independence, creativity and responsability. This cannot be evaluated with a test, and it is critical that you choose well; a person with these qualities can actually be very hard to work with...
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

I don't have a test, but I wrote one, once, for a former employer.

Everything should be included--Logic (PLC questions), electrical knowledge (sink/source questions are always fun), schematic knowledge (symbols), device knowledge (what is an I/P transducer?), etc. I even included schematics and PLC printout of one of our simpler machines and asked questions like "What does it mean when PL3 flashes?

Make the test very difficult. You don't want anybody to ace it. Tell them that before they take it--they're not expected to ace it.

The average score on my test was about 65%. One person out of 14 made more than 90%. It was very difficult. If everybody aces the test, there's no ruler to measure one candidate's knowledge as opposed the rest.

Dear HS1

To Be a PLC engineer and sole player in the project you should now the following
1- How to make the site survay and determine exactly your needs for this project .
2-to have the ability to configure the requiered PLC for the project including DI,DO,AI,AO,Special Modules,Communication...etc
3-You should know at least one of the PLC programming langauges.
4-you should have the ability to prepare paper works such as I_O list,Cable Sheets,Cable Routes,Tag list,PLC Addresses---etc.
5-You should now haow to deal with different kind of sensors,transmiiters and different Field devices.
5-you should know about the commissioning and start up procedures like I_o testing,cable testing, Dry run for motors...etc
I which all the best of luck

Huh. I did one of those tests once, years ago. It was fun. If this is a maintenance position, then ok it's a good way to separate the wheat from the chaff.

If you're looking for a developer, why not review a program that the candidate has written? This lets you evaluate:

- development style (is it suited to your company?)
- technical expertise (organized code? Consistent/sensible tag names? Comments? Comments that actually help in understanding the logic?? <g!>)
- maybe most important, ability to communicate and work with others in your group

I have never gone to an interview without examples of my work; if the candidate shows up empty handed, that may be a screen right there. I honestly think that you get more out of a code walkthru than a test; even if the candidate can identify the ingredients, it doesn't mean you're going to like the way it tastes!

Controls Engineer questions?

I have also been trying to come up with a brief set of questions/answers that will help me determine if a candidate has knowledge of controls. I am an engineering recruiter working with Automation integrators as clients. They ask me to send them candidates who are able to do what their resume states. Unfortunately, I am not technically qualified to determine the capabilies of a candidate.
Is anyone able to come up with 6-10 questions and answers regarding controls hardware (Allen Bradley) that would help tell me if a person is at least knowledgeable enough to be technically conversant at an interview for a Controls Engineer position?
Thanks.

dchartier said:
Hello HS1;

Remember that on top of technical and programming savy you seem to be looking for someone with experience, independence, creativity and responsability. This cannot be evaluated with a test, and it is critical that you choose well; a person with these qualities can actually be very hard to work with...

Daniel Chartier

ouch!

I would take the candidate on a tour of the plant and then ask how he would control it. The nitty gritty details of the PLC are not as important as understanding what is being controlled. In the past I have listened to the questions asked while taking the tour. The questions can be just as enlighting as the answers.

I am an engineering recruiter working with Automation integrators as clients. They ask me to send them candidates who are able to do what their resume states. Unfortunately, I am not technically qualified to determine the capabilies of a candidate.

Excuse me for saying this, but perhaps someone should have given you a test before hiring you. It appears you have a job for which you're not qualified.

He's a recruiter , his job is to recruit, not repair, install, etc.

I have done many interviews that I wished that someone would of given them the test before they got to me...

Edit: Batton, next time start a new thread, you may have better luck

Quote:
I am an engineering recruiter working with Automation integrators as clients. They ask me to send them candidates who are able to do what their resume states. Unfortunately, I am not technically qualified to determine the capabilies of a candidate.

Steve Bailey said:
Excuse me for saying this, but perhaps someone should have given you a test before hiring you. It appears you have a job for which you're not qualified.

Steve;
The amazing part of his statment is he admitted it. Very unusual
for recruiter and HR types. I give him credit for that.