Most Used PLCs in Australia

QasimFSH

Hi everyone,

I am a recent grad, and want to have an input on which models of PLCs are most used in the Australian industry.

I have used Schneider Electric`s TM221CE16R, which had a free software (SoMachine Basic). From my experience so far, I know that this is a very handy PLC, but definitely not the most used one in industry (maybe because of its software and limited no. of inputs and outputs).

I have an idea that Siemens, Schneider and Allen Bradley are used most here in Australia, but which models? Getting experience of which models help me get a better job. Also, kindly mention the software needed to program these PLCs, and its cost (assuming the not all software are free like SoMachine Basic).

Lastly, any places to but cheap plc from? After hearing from you all, I will but one PLC I feel is the best out of my own pocket to enhance my skills.

Any recommendation, suggestions, please feel free to write (even if there is any criticism).

Thanks.

No real answer to the questions. Most used brands I know of are AB, Siemens, Schneider, Omron, Koyo, Unitronics. Models according to need. If you want a cheap one with free software Click is about it. Someone else will give you a different answer.

Depends on the industry and where the machinery comes from.
If it's coming out of Europe, expect Siemens, and increasing market share for Beckhoff.
Allen Bradley used to have a large chunk of the Australian market, not sure if that's still the case.

Allen Bradley and Siemens. Fortunately you can buy hardware on eBay for a reasonable price. Unfortunately both charge a lot for the software. I would go as far as saying if you can program Logix/Studio, TIA and CoDesys, you can program almost anything.

I sell a lot to AU and from my orders I would say you guys are similar to the states... everything under the sun.

I think that ggc answer of industry dependent would make a big difference, I know here if I go to a chicken plant most of the time is will be AB, if I go to a peach plant it will be Automation Direct or Omron.

If you like Schneider stay with it, its a great PLC, if you plan on working for yourself try and get familiar with them all.

I sell a lot to AU and from my orders I would say you guys are similar to the states... everything under the sun.

I think that ggc answer of industry dependent would make a big difference, I know here if I go to a chicken plant most of the time is will be AB, if I go to a peach plant it will be Automation Direct or Omron.

If you like Schneider stay with it, its a great PLC, if you plan on working for yourself try and get familiar with them all.

Do you deal with used PLCs too?

Allen Bradley and Siemens. Fortunately you can buy hardware on eBay for a reasonable price. Unfortunately both charge a lot for the software. I would go as far as saying if you can program Logix/Studio, TIA and CoDesys, you can program almost anything.

I am sure that with my experience so far with SoMachine Basic, I can definitely program any other PLC. But I still really want to try all the other options too..

I can't help but see some sort of link to do with the two metaphors, Chicken **** and Peachy. I know which plant I'd rather be at!

Do you deal with used PLCs too?

Yes, we have both used and new, more used on our ebay store https://www.ebay.com/str/plctrainerandcables but we do have some used on our website https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=used&section=product

AustralIan said:
I know which plant I'd rather be at!

No doubt... I eat a lot more chicken than peaches but man they stink, they all have evaporation ponds that will make you gag if you get to close, there is one peach packaging that's bad also they peel, slice and box them when you walk out you stick to everything.