Program Micrologix 1100 with RSLogix 500 Ver. 6.3

Lynx777

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello Everyone,

I hope that someone can give me a definitive answer to my question.

Can a
MicroLogix 1100 be programed using RSLogix 500
Ver. 6.3?

AB says "NO", but I've read elsewhere that it may be possible, and, we all know that AB wants to sell there software.:rolleyes:

I have good communication with
RSLinx, the PLC displays as a Micrologix 1100 as it should, and also shows me the processor name.

However, when I open
RSLogix, and go to "Who Active Go Online" it comes up with an error saying that the PLC is not a SLC 500.

I originally programed this PLC with a laptop running
RSLogix Ver. 7 but, do to circumstances beyond my control, that laptop is no-longer available to me.

Something that I have found, that may help, is that if, in
RSLogix , you go to Tools, Options, System Communications, at the bottom of that window there are two files listed with there
ver. numbers. On the laptop that has RSLogix ver. 6.3, the WDRV32.LIB file is ver. 2.20.118.01, in ver. 7 that file is listed as ver. 2.42.

I got this info by talking to the guy who
currently has the laptop I used originally on the phone. He searched his hard drive so he could email me the file and see if that would fix the problem.
Unfortunately he could not find the file. So, I tried to find the file on my laptop, so I could tell him where it's located, and as you probably have guessed, I can not find it either. I do not know if this would solve my problem but, I figure it's worth a shot.

Anyway, sorry this is so long winded. I wanted to give as much info as possible so you can understand where I'm at with this.

Any feed back you may have would be a great help. Thanks

Last edited:
If you open a new project, does RSLogix version 6.3 give you the choice of selecting a Micrologix 1100 processor on the drop-down list? If not, then I doubt if you can use it to program the 1100 (even if you do find a way to connect through RSLinx). What CPU would you use, if the ML1100 is not on your "Select Processor Type" list?

Last edited:
No it does not.

That's why I was looking at the file versions. My hope was that I could replace the WDRV32.LIB file with the newer version and get the MicroLogix 1100 in the list.

Replacing part of the files in RSLogix could result in making the program inaccessible. If it were me, I wouldn't risk losing my working copy.

That's why I was looking at the file versions. My hope was that I could replace the WDRV32.LIB file with the newer version and get the MicroLogix 1100 in the list.

I wouldn't recommend that ... BACK UP EVERYTHING before you do ... most of these types of files are set up in the Windows Registry - and linked to each other in very mysterious ways ...

best course of action: download the correct version of the software ...

PS Edit: Lancie out-typed me ... so I second his motion ...

Last edited:
I agree completely!

I always make backup copies of files whenever I find myself needing to try something like this.

If you have a buddy, neighbor, or co-worker who has the proper installation CD or download for RSLogix 500 version 7.3, get that and use it with your existing activation.

You don't have to buy the software over again to get an upgrade, you just need a support contract. Even the smallest "eConnect" contract gets you upgrade rights.

Don't attempt to splice in DLLs and other program elements from another installation. That will only make a mess.

I would love to get another copy of the latest and greatest, but I being told by my IT department that they do not want to pony up the cash for another copy. And going up to the VP for funds approval will take a couple of days. I was hoping for a quick fix until I can wade through all the red tape.

I've got the install CD for ver. 7. I did not think that it could be installed on a second comp. since they went to there online activation system.

If you have an activation on your PC already (since version 6.3 works on your PC now, right?), you can install the updated software no problem. It will use the existing activation.