1400 ethernet comms

tlindsey

I am starting a new project; I have a Micrologix 1400, an unmanaged ethernet switch, an Automation Direct 8" C-More display. I am having trouble setting up the ethernet communication. I've tried a few combinations of crossover and straight cables. In RSLinx when just trying to communicate with the 1400, it says that it is un-recognizable.
Laptop to Switch, tried both straight and crossover.
Switch to 1400, tried straight only.
RS Linx tried ETH-1 and ETH-IP drivers.
Set 1400 to static IP address and manually input IP address. I really don't know how to set up the
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

If you get a yellow question mark then RSLinx IS communicating with the PLC, but it doesn't recognise the model information the PLC provides. make sure you have the latest version of RSLinx.

If this is on a isolated network (which it sounds like it is):

1) Use straight-through cables from devices to the switch. No crossover cables are needed.

2) Make sure all devices are on the same subnet. For example, All devices must have an IP address in the range 10.0.0.xxx and the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0 for example). This includes your computer, so you will need to set a static IP address in Windows.

3) Try to use the PING command from your laptop to test which devices are communicating.

As Bernie Carlton suggests, RSLinx Classic must be version 2.54 or later to recognize the MicroLogix 1400 controller. The current revision of RSLinx Classic is version 2.59, and it the Lite edition is a free download from the RA software update service.

This isn't an EDS issue; RSLinx has a hard-coded list of device types and data types that the MicroLogix 1400 didn't fit into until version 2.54.

1400 ethernet comms with CMore HMI

I am now communicating with the PLC. As RSlinx is scanning, it sees a device at station 5, the CMore panel, but it is un recognized.

I am also communicating directly with the CMore panel from my laptop, I have loaded a screen into it using ethernet. The MicroLogix and the panel are not talking to each other.

Laptop = 192.168.10.10
ML1400 - 192.168.10.1
CMore Panel = 192.168.10.5

How can I get the 2 to communicate?

set the communications up in the c-more se the c-more help file if it would help I could send you an example c-more file?

C-more Panel Manager should have selected protocol "Allen-Bradley EtherNet/IP Client (MicroLogix 1100)", just use all defaults except for your PLCs IP address 192.168.10.1

You'll need a project in the PLC, and by default the data files are very small. So "N7:0" is the safest thing to try at first.

Post your error messages if it doesn't work.

OpZed beat me to it I had to give my pc a 3 finger salute and just got back online. glad you got it!!

Pardon me for digging up an old thread and i'm in no means trying to hijack the original thread. Just came across it while searching for the solution to the same problem im having. Im building my own trainer that consist of ML1400 and an 8" C-More HMI. I am trying to establish communication between my laptop and the HMI via ethernet (direct connection) but i too get the "un-recognizable" message. I have done what OpZed suggested and i'm using a crossover cable. RSLINX version 2.57 is what i have. I appreciate all the help in advance!