Panelview Plus Program Update

Tim Ganz

Our vendor sent us a new program for our stretch wrapper by email and we need to transfer it to the panelview plus.

How would I do that without a laptop? There is a compact flash card but from what I read that holds all the stuff the panelview needs to work and not the machine program.

There are usb slots also so can I put the program on a thumb drive and put it on the panelview that way? I have not tried it yet because I wanted to ask and not damamge anything.

Will anythumb drive work or do I need a certain size. I have a 4 gigabyte sandisk cruzer so will it work?

Your thumb drive will work if it contains a fuctional runtime (.mer) file.
4GB is plenty.
On the USB drive create the nested folders:
Rockwell Software\RsViewME\Runtime;
copy and paste the vendor's .mer file in the newly created Runtime folder.
Take the thumb drive and insert it into one of the terminal's USB ports.
Switch the HMI (if not already there) to the Configuration Mode (find the Goto Configuration button object or reboot; if rebooting re-starts the existing application, reboot again and after the "Verification" passes, hold down the F1 key-or the lower left white square for Touch panels; this should take you to the Configuration Mode.
When there, choose Application Settings/File Management/Copy Applications; choose External Memory 1 (or External Memory 2 if CF card present within the CompactFlash slot) as the Source of the Copy command- highlight the new .mer file.
Choose Internal Memory as the Destination of the Copy command.
When done, Exit out, choose Load Application from Internal Memory and pick the newly copied .mer file.
DO NOT REPLACE COMMUNICATIONS if prompted!
After the application is loaded choose Run Application.

My colleague has posted an excellent overview of the method for copying the Runtime file into the proper location in the PanelView terminal.

I'd like to add a detail: PanelView Plus only supports the universal "FAT16" file format for removable media.

Just last week I had a 4GB USB drive that was formatted for NTFS and the PanelView would not read it. When I reformatted for FAT16, it worked right away.

That particular terminal was a PanelView Plus 1000 with version 5.10.03 firmware; this was the last hardware generation before RA switched to the 'v6' logic modules.

Can we use the compact flash slot to keep the program on so it is easy to change panelview for anyone?

I thought the CF slot was for the panelview operating system?

The original PanelView 700-1500 Logic Modules have two CompactFlash slots.

The first is inside the Logic Module, with a CF card held in place by a screwed-down retainer. That's the CF card that holds the operating system and FactoryTalk View ME runtime programs, and has a partition that is mounted as "\Storage Card\".

The second is the one you can access from outside. That's mounted as "\Storage Card2\" or called "External Storage" in the PV+ configuration menus.

You can store Runtime files on either one, or store fonts on either one.

If you have a CF/PCMCIA adapter or a CF card reader, you can certainly put your *.MER files on the removable card.

The smaller PanelView Plus 400/600 terminals have onboard NVRAM for the OS and software, rather than a CF card on the motherboard. I'm not sure what's inside the PV+ v6 logic module.