Need help with: PowerFlex 753, EtherNet, and Tags

Valley Ind

Hello!

I have the following items:
CompactLogix 1769-L16ER-BB1B Processor
PowerFlex 753-NET-E-AC Drive via 20-COMM-E drive.

I noticed that when I added the PowerFlex drive I automatically got some Controller Tags:
PowerFlex_753:I
PowerFlex-753:O

When I expanded the PowerFlex_753:O tag I noticed a:
PowerFlex_753:O.LogicCommand_Start
PowerFlex_753:O.LogicCommand_Stop
PowerFlex_753:O.LogicCommand_Jog1
tag(s).

Are those what I use to start, stop, and jog the drive from the PLCs ladder?

Also, when I expand PowerFlex_753:I tag I noticed a:
Powerflex_753:I.DriveStatus_AtSpeed
tag.

Is that what I use to test if the drive if running from my PLC ladder?

I expected a DriveRunning tag but did not see one, is AtSpeed the same as DriveRunning?

Another question:

The PowerFlex_753:I tag has a PowerFlex_753:IDriveStatus tag under it and that tag is Data Type INT. When I expand that I see the tags
PowerFlex_753:IDriveStatus0 to PowerFlex_753:IDriveStatus15

is DriveStatus0 the same thing as DriveStatus_Ready and
DriveStatus1 the same thing as DriveStatus_Active?

If not, then what is the difference between the two? How do I know what DriveStatus0 or DriveStatus1 is for?

Thank you for your help.

Welcome to the forum!

You are on the right track, the tags that were created when you added your PF753 to your hardware tree are for commanding the drive as well as reading it's status. As for the definitions of what exactly tag and it's elements provide, well you're best bet is to download the manual and review the items there.

DriveStatus.0 does not neccesarily correlate to DriveStatus_Ready, again look to the manual for guidance as all your questions will be answered there, and you will KNOW and UNDERSTAND what those functions do.

After all, a manual is probably more trustworthy then us goons that hang out here:beer:

I can't find the manual for this, anyone know where it is? All I can find is an old manual for doing it with a PLC5 or a micrologix

You're probably describing the 750COM-AT001 guide that gives you examples of how to send MSG instructions to the PowerFlex 750 series drives. It's written up in a specific application guide because it's not the usual method of talking to the drive.

I'm not sure precisely which drive and interface you're using, so I'll take a scattergun approach:

For use of a 20-COMM-E and a ControlLogix, start with the 20-COMM-E User Manual, publication 20COM-UM010.

There's also a nice "Quick Start" for using PowerFlex 70-series drives with Logix 5000 family controllers, publication IASIMP-QS031.

PowerFlex 750 series also have their own built-in Ethernet interface, which is slightly different than the 20-COMM-E that was for the PowerFlex 70/700 series. That user manual, 750COM-UM001, is the best place to start if you're using the embedded Ethernet interface on a PowerFlex 753 or 755.

All of those Publications can be downloaded in PDF format from literature.rockwellautomation.com.

The other keyword that helps is "Logix 5000 Premier Integration". Heck, search that on YouTube and you'll find a video I did.. gah.. seven years ago.

Thanks, the 20-COMM-E manual was the one I was after, appendix D had the info I was looking for. Called rockwell support and they showed me literature.rockwell.com which I did not know existed, previously I only looked on knowledgebase.rockwell.com