Caution when clearing GE 90-30 I/O fault tables?

timothy585

Supporting Member
I'm online with a 90-30 using PAC ME 9.8

No one has gotten online with this PLC for many years and the the I/O fault table has a total of 1209 faults. 1177 are overflowed and 32 are actually displayed...and these date back to 2001.

There are about 140 Genius I/O module located throughout the facility and about 75% of of them have blinking "UNIT OK" LEDs. This indicates a fault of some kind on an I/O point on that module.

Every alarm currently in the fault table is a Code:2 Diagnostic Alarm.

I don't seem to have the ability using the software to clear individual faults. It seems the only option I have is to clear the entire fault table. My question is would this be safe to do and not cause I/O to change state while the processor is in RUN mode? I can't take the processor out of RUN mode right now as that would bring the entire facility down.

Short versions - does clearing fault table affect I/O state or take PLC out of RUN mode?

Thanks.

I concur. Clearing the PLC's fault tables will not take it out of run.
However, I don't believe clearing the PLC fault tables will clear the faults on the Genius modules. To clear those faults on the individual Genius blocks, you will need to use the Genius handheld or else write logic to send a datagram to each block. That's based on my (72 year old) memory, not on reading the manual.

I concur. Clearing the PLC's fault tables will not take it out of run.
However, I don't believe clearing the PLC fault tables will clear the faults on the Genius modules. To clear those faults on the individual Genius blocks, you will need to use the Genius handheld or else write logic to send a datagram to each block. That's based on my (72 year old) memory, not on reading the manual.

I know I've cleared the genius module faults on rx3i series without the handheld for sure.
I think I remember doing it with PME9.0 on the later gen 90-30's but I can't say for 100% certainty.