Obtaining Beckhoff Network Hardware for Self Training

Hello Friends,

I'm starting a new job soon, towards the end of September, that will be using all Beckhoff equipment.

I have programming experience with Beckhoff but not as much hands on experience on the hardware side. The company I will work for uses ProfiNET, ProfiSAFE, Ethercat, and IO-Link for their industrial networks.

Checking on eBay and Radwell PLC, the pricing of used hardware for practice seems way out of budget. Hardware such as ProfiNET master, IO-Link master, and Ethercat couplers.

It's great that with Beckhoff I can use my laptop as the IPC/PLC, but it does me no good if the network hardware is out of budget.

Does anyone have some advice for where I could source these network modules at a low price, or even if someone could borrow them to me for a deposit or other agreement. I'm in Illinois and I will be working in Forth Worth.

I would suggest contacting the Beckhoff Chicago area office (they are in Lemont) and asking for advice. They might be able to get you loaners and what not.

I figured today on contacting Beckhoff to see if they have any loaner trainers. I also researched if there are any simulators and did find the Ethercat SIM package.

There is also another simulator package that you can simulate wired inputs/outputs if you have an Allen Bradley working PLC, Siemens, or Beckhoff. I'm still trying to find that one I've seen on YouTube a few years ago.

Preferably not at my expense, but if I have to pay no more than 500 dollars for a Beckhoff Profinet Master, Ethercat slave, ProfiSAFE, and IO Link master then I am content with purchasing out of pocket for practice.

I believe there are also simulators for ProfiNET slaves and I can use the Beckhoff real time driver with ProfiNET protocol from my laptop. One thing I need to figure out is how many protocols can I run from one ethernet port on my laptop? Ethercat AND ProfiNET simultaneously, or is a dedicated NIC needed for each industrial network?

Another possibility I think is just to practice with one protocol at a time on the NIC, and then change to another protocol. So the hardware I would need is a cheap ethercat slave, cheap profinet and profiSAFE slave, and a cheap IO Link master if possible. Any suggestions on this hardware under 500 dollars?

One thing I need to figure out is how many protocols can I run from one ethernet port on my laptop? Ethercat AND ProfiNET simultaneously, or is a dedicated NIC needed for each industrial network?
You will certainly need a dedicated NIC for EtherCAT and it must be an Intel chip-based. It is better to have a separate NIC for Profinet; another solution would be to embed Profinet traffic into EtherCAT and use EL6631 Profinet RT Controller terminal.

You mentioned that the company uses ProfiSAFE; I wonder why not TwinSAFE since it is Beckhoff and EtherCAT anyway? Beckhoff does have a ProfiSAFE controller terminal but wouldn't that mean embedding Profinet traffic into EtherCAT anyway?