Triggering recurrent action in CCW

MikeBriggs

In Connected Components Workbench, using ladder logic, is there a relatively simple way to trigger something to happen repeatedly at a regular interval? In my case, I want to send some Modbus messages (reads) every 2 seconds. The CCW timers I'm familiar with all revolve around delaying an action from happening after some event (something becoming true or false) for some amount of time - but not for having it happen repeatedly every X seconds. I might be able to figure out some roundabout way of doing it with a pulse timer....

Thanks!

Even with a standard Delay on timer just use the not output on the input of the timer this will give you a pulse for one scan at the time interval you choose or if you need it on for longer seal a contact in from the timer then clear it when you have finished what you want to do.

AND NOT T4:0/DN [T4:0 2S]
T4:0/DN
------| |--------------On for one scan every 2 seconds

I want to send some Modbus messages (reads) every 2 seconds.

Do Micro8xx PLCs have a Real-Time Clock (typically a data structure or array of integers year, month of year, day of month, hour of day, minute of hour, second of minute)? Or maybe a seconds since the Epoch system DINT?

Because the low bit of the seconds integer will have a rising edge every 2s, and could trigger a Modbus message FB, although they probably should not do so unless the previous message execution has completed (success or error).

System Variable __SYSVA_CYCLEDATE is a timestamp, data type TIME, that gets updated at the beginning of each scan cycle.

It appears (cf. here) to be a running UDINT count of ms, probably since the Micro8xx was powered on and rolling over every three and a half fortnights or so.

Assuming that is true, __SYSVA_CYCLEDATE's bit 10 (value 1024) has a rising edge every 2048ms, accurate to a few ms. Is that close enough?

There is also __SYSVA_CYCLECNT, which counts scan cycles, so if the 2s target period is a round number, then that cycle count could also be used once you calibrate the scan time of your program, e.g. if the mean scan time is around 4ms, then bit 8 would have a rising edge every 2s or so.

Untitled.png

Whoopsie! I just remembered:

If this is Modbus TCP, then the MODBUS2LOCPARA structure already has timed repeating capability built in; cf. parameter TriggerType here.

Of course, being CCW, whether it actually works is whole 'nuther kettle of fish.

Even with a standard Delay on timer just use the not output on the input of the timer this will give you a pulse for one scan at the time interval you choose or if you need it on for longer seal a contact in from the timer then clear it when you have finished what you want to do.

AND NOT T4:0/DN [T4:0 2S]
T4:0/DN
------| |--------------On for one scan every 2 seconds

This video starting here is an example of what @parky is suggesting, which is the canonical way to implement a repeating timer.

Contrary to what that video says, the TON_1.Q bit does become 1 for 1 scan, starting at the completion of the TON instruction.