rotary axis configuration question

mike3475

Hi, everyone:
I tried to understand the basic knowledge of CIP motion control axis configuration.
we have one rotary axis (kinetix350) in our system, this axis uses MPL-B330P-M motor, i don't understand the system inertia, in our case, the system inertia equals to motor inertia, why the units are different? i don't know where is the system inertia coming from, is there any formula to calculate it or coming from successful autotune?
Thanks in advance!

load.PNG

mike3475;924685i don't understand the system inertia said:
I am confused too.

rev/sec^2 is an angular acceleration.

Inertia have have units of mass so I think the labeling is wrong.

If the software somehow knows about the torque limitations of the motor then is could really be calculating the angular_acceleration limit since torque = rotational_inertia*angular_acceleration.

system inertia = 1/ system acceleration. where is system acceleration coming from? from successful autotune?
thanks!

Last edited:
system inertia = 1/ system acceleration. where is system acceleration coming from? from successful autotune?
thanks!
1/ system acceleration is not an inertia. Look up the definition for rotational inertia. System inertia appears to be a "made up" term.
Didn't you see my post above? Torque = rotational_inertia*angular_acceleration. If you rearrange this you get angular_acceleration = Torque / rotational inertia.
You know the rotational inertia and the motor. The motor should have a maximum torque with which the maximum rotational can be calculated. This is basic. Ask Rockwell about their screwed up terms.

An auto tune will provide the open loop frequency and bandwidth or time constant of the motor and load.