1769-L18ER-BB1B can't update firmware V24

minaykha

Hi ,

I getting the error

" Failed to begin update to the target device.
The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update".

I downloaded the firmware V24.011 from rockwell website.
I put the controller in program mode.
Seem like nothing wrong except OK led got red flashing.

I can see the controller in RsLinx. But,i cannot connect Rslogix 5000 to controller and cannot update firmware too.

Please help. How can i solve this problem ?

Thank in advanced.

Hi ,

I getting the error

" Failed to begin update to the target device.
The target device is not in the proper mode to accept an update".

I downloaded the firmware V24.011 from rockwell website.
I put the controller in program mode.
Seem like nothing wrong except OK led got red flashing.

I can see the controller in RsLinx. But,i cannot connect Rslogix 5000 to controller and cannot update firmware too.

Please help. How can i solve this problem ?

Thank in advanced.

Put the Controller in Remote. Make sure you can ping the IP.

Hi,

I tried the controller in remote mode too, but facing same problem.

I can ping the controller and i can see the controller in Rslinx.

Still cannot solve the problem. :(

Last edited:
Hi

Is the Plc version a or version b
There was (is) an issue/limit with version A and the firware you can go to.
Have a look at the ab site and look at the download firmware page

Donnchadh

Yes. I was expecting the same "usual suspect", but it's always good to know either way in case there's something new to add to the list.

G.

Hi All,

I also thinking what was actual cause of the problem.

Firstly, i tried to update firmware version 24.011, then Failed.
(But, at that time, i click on the + icon of the controller and point on CPU from drop down menu )

Secondly , i tried to update firmware version 24.013 , then OK.
( At this time, i just highlight on my controller ( i mean,I did not click on the +icon of the controller and not go to drop down menu).

That is why, i could not verify that the problem is because of firmware version or because of pointing to wrong place.

minaykha said:
...That is why, i could not verify that the problem is because of firmware version or because of pointing to wrong place.

Your controller supports both those revision 24 firmware. So it would not have been the firmware that was the issue.

Your issue was indeed the "usual suspect" of drilling down too far to the second instance of the controller.

For the newer 5370 CompactLogix controllers the top instance under the driver must be selected as the Ethernet port is now accessed more directly as an embedded port. This is as opposed to the older Ethernet based CompactLogix controllers (L23E, L32E, L35E) whose Ethernet port was accessed as an Ethernet bridge on a Virtual Backplane. Hence the drilling down through the backplane to find the controller instance.

The more direct access is also why the message path to the Ethernet port is now much simpler than before, as there are less hops to make...

New: 2, IP Address

Old: 1, 1, 2, IP Address

Regards,
George