PanelView Plus 7 Perf - Not a valid device

phuz

Using FT View Studio v12, I am getting an error when trying to download to (and also upload from) a PanelView Plus 7 Perf 10" (firmware version 10). It tells me it is not a valid device. Yes the project settings are for a PV+ 7 Perf. I've only ever seen this when accidentally selecting the wrong PV type.

Check the WhoIs in RSLinx.

If the driver isn't running, is looking at the wrong port, etc it will show devices previously connected to, but either Comm's Error or Unknown Device

Usually I see this error when you drill too far down in the FT Linx windows (i.e. if you select the PVP, then expand down to select the various levels underneath the top-level display of the PVP), or when I try to download a file from a network drive.

What do you mean, it's not a very helpful error message? /s

Check what ASF said, I've definitely seen that error when downloading from/uploading to a network drive (or something that Windows might interpret as a network drive).

dmroeder has also documented an issue where a problem with the RSLinx/FTLinx setup (of the .mer file and panel, not of your PC) can cause that error message; see this post.

I assume the PV is showing up in your who active in the Transfer Utility? Is your ethernet driver "browsing"? You can ping the PV?

Like ASF, I only remember seeing this when I accidentally selected the wrong device in the Transfer Utility to Upload or Download to. A PLC, or the wrong HMI with a very similar IP address, something like that.

When you add the PV+ to your RSLinx Enterprise, you usually have multiple revisions to choose from. Did you select V. 10? Or, did the driver find the PV on its own? I've still had it work when I didn't have the correct revision.

I assume the PV is showing up in your who active in the Transfer Utility? Is your ethernet driver "browsing"? You can ping the PV?

Like ASF, I only remember seeing this when I accidentally selected the wrong device in the Transfer Utility to Upload or Download to. A PLC, or the wrong HMI with a very similar IP address, something like that.

When you add the PV+ to your RSLinx Enterprise, you usually have multiple revisions to choose from. Did you select V. 10? Or, did the driver find the PV on its own? I've still had it work when I didn't have the correct revision.

Yes, it shows up and I can ping it. I didn't have to manually add it because being on the same subnet, the Ethernet/IP driver automatically sees it. Definitely not selecting the wrong device. ;)

I can't even update the firmware on the terminal because whether I select the direct IP connection or FT Linx, it says "cannot connect to remote terminal"
Hmm...

Here's the issue. Found a KB article on it. Had to delete the FT Linx config in the PV itself, then immediately I was able to download/upload/update firmware. Updated to FW12 and it's fat, dumb, and happy.
Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.

Here's the issue. Found a KB article on it. Had to delete the FT Linx config in the PV itself, then immediately I was able to download/upload/update firmware. Updated to FW12 and it's fat, dumb, and happy.
Hopefully this helps someone else along the way.

After you do that, then download, are you able to download again?

From my experience, this issue actually resides in the FTL configuration in your PanelView application. So once you download and replace communications, the issue happens all over again. The root of the issue needs to be resolved in your FactoryTalk application by deleting the FTL/RSL Enterprise server.

Deleting the FTL config only gets you buy until you download and replace communication.

After you do that, then download, are you able to download again?

From my experience, this issue actually resides in the FTL configuration in your PanelView application. So once you download and replace communications, the issue happens all over again. The root of the issue needs to be resolved in your FactoryTalk application by deleting the FTL/RSL Enterprise server.

Deleting the FTL config only gets you buy until you download and replace communication.

Yes. After the FW was updated, it was fine for all subsequent downloads.

Hello Friends

I have the same problem but with FT View Studio v10 in PanelView Plus 1000. "The source selected is not a valid device.

I have been working with several HMI´s, uploading/downloading without problem.

Suddenly this message appears, so I can download to HMI but I can´t upload the application.

If in the HMI I load a older application and run, I can upload again, but If I modify this application and download, I can´t upload again.

I can´t upgrade to FT View Studio, y need to work with version 10.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Hello Friends

I have the same problem but with FT View Studio v10 in PanelView Plus 1000. "The source selected is not a valid device.

I have been working with several HMI´s, uploading/downloading without problem.

Suddenly this message appears, so I can download to HMI but I can´t upload the application.

If in the HMI I load a older application and run, I can upload again, but If I modify this application and download, I can´t upload again.

I can´t upgrade to FT View Studio, y need to work with version 10.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Update the firmware in the terminal.

So, Can I update the terminal firmware to v12 and with FT View Studio v10 download applications with v10?

Thanks again.