0 to 5v anolog scaling question.

Icemanwillis

Hi everyone. I am hoping that someone could assist me on some scaling. I have a 0 to 5v laser potentiometer that I am trying to scale into a PID. I am either not getting an output on the PID or if I do the fluctuations are crazy and all over the place. Utilizing TIA V13 the current Controls Engineer has the scaling set from 0 to 27648 to me this doesn't seem correct as that would be scaling for 4 to 20mA and not for an anolog 0 to 5v. Would I be correct in assuming this? I am learning as I go and just can't wrap my head around using a scale so high. Thanks

A few modules behaves differently, but 0 to 27648 is the range after the ADC for all 'normal' measuring ranges in Siemens PLCs.
What is the exact PLC hardware being used ?

I suggest that you trace both raw and scaled value. Maybe the signal from the laser is erratic ? Can you rule out noise ? A 0-5V signal is less noise resistant than a 4-20mA signal.

Thank you for replying. I believe I have the issue resolved. But to answer your question it is a Simatic S7-1200 with 1214CPU and SM1234 AI/AQ

Thank you for replying. I believe I have the issue resolved. But to answer your question it is a Simatic S7-1200 with 1214CPU and SM1234 AI/AQ
It is good forum etiquette to state what the problem was and what you did to resolve it.
edit: and for that module working in 0..5V mode, the raw unscaled value range is 0..27648.

Last edited: