FactoryTalk View ME V12 Won't Restore Runtime File

JJH

Hello group,

Thanks to Rockwell's infinite wisdom to change the O/S from WinCE to Win10, I have recently installed FactoryTalk View ME Version 12 on my PC. It's had it's own quirks but it wouldn't be a Rockwell product if it didn't.

The latest issue I'm running into is that when I try to use the new Application Manager to restore a runtime file, it starts to go trough that process but eventually I get a message saying it failed to restore the file. Period. Sorry. Have a nice day. This has never been an issue until I installed V12.

Has anyone else experienced this and were you able to resolve it? I'm in touch with TechSupport but as we all now, that is often a slow, painful process which doesn't get you too far over the hump.

Attached is a screenshot if the message I get.

Thanks for any advice or solutions!

FTVewError.JPG

Do you know what version of Runtime your trying to restore?

Have you downloaded and installed the latest RA patch roll-up?

We run various VMs specifically because of issues of newer vs older RA/AB systems. ex. Win7 VM with FTV v10 or Win10 with FTV v12 etc.

The MER I'm trying to restore is probably V6.1 but I was able to do it with V10 and I think V12 is supposed to work back as far as V6.

Yes, yes, I know about the VMs.....

Very well... of course, TechSipport did NOT offer that as a solution. I will download the latest patch (Aug 2022) and see if that straightens it out.

Based on an RA Knowledge base (if I am reading it right) - patch roll-up Jan. 2021 or later will allow runtimes for v.5.0 and v.5.10 and later.

ID: BF26433 | Access Levels: Everyone
Patch: v12 - v.5.0 and v.5.10 projects, FactoryTalk View 12.0
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1129787
This says nothing to do with restoring, that patch adds back in the ability to *create* version 5.0 and 5.1 .mer files.

Updating to the most recent patches is generally worth trying for issues, but nothing in that knowledgebase article says anything about restoring files.

Unless when they removed the ability to create v5 files they also broke the ability to restore a later version...

Last edited:
It seems as though the latest patch rollup I installed (Aug 2022) has resolved the issue. Many thanks for your input, it often takes us folks who have to get dirty with this stuff to have the right solutions!