Batch controller integartion with MES using Anybus communicator

sluasoneg

Complete novice trying to integrate an industrial fluid filling process into MES using an anybus communicator

Hardware:

Anybus Communicator AB7072 - Anybus Communicator - EtherNet/ip https://www.anybus.com/products/gat...bus-communicator-ethernet-ip?ordercode=AB7072

Fluidwell N410 Batch controller - N410 DIN Panel mount - Batch Controller | Fluidwell https://www.fluidwell.com/single-product/n410.html

I’m attempting to set up an Anybus communicator as part of an automated fuel filling process. The communicator is terminated between the network point and a fluid fill batch controller. The idea is to configure the communicator to automate the fuel fill volumes through the batch controller. But I am stuck on how to configure the communicator.

Essentially i want to do two things

1. Send/receive data to the fluid batch controllers by writing and reading to registers. Essentially need to have setup to connect the batch controller to an intranet to allow tcp/ip communications to read and write data from/to the batch controller from a .net application (write multiple registers and read multiple registers)
2.Connect the communicator to a network so MES can communicate with it.

The anybus is connected to the network via standard cat6 network cable, and is connected to the batch controller by a rs-485 serial cable, with a via to connecting multiple slave batch contollers via daisy chained cabling.

However a lack of experience/knowledge in this field I am unable to configure the system to my needs – my initial understanding was that this would be achievable without the requirement of a PLC however I’m unsure whether this is the case at all. I would welcome any guidance on configuring the anybus unit or any helpful resources to get me started.

Anybus Communicator : As far as I know, you can gather data thru modbus RS485 (31 stations). Ethernet port is based on EIP protocol, I.E., data is ready to be used on any EIP units ( Allen Bradley, Schneider , etc) , is that what you want ?.
I used a small PLC Productivity 1000 ((cheaper than anybus comm, CPU only, no IO) to read 16 circuit analyzers thru modbus RTU, then data taken from analyzers was logged into excel.
I do not know if this can help you, anyway you can take a look at:
https://accautomation.ca/productivity-1000-series-plc-modbus-rtu-serial-communication/

The aim is to implement this without the use of a physical PLC, rather having commands sent via a software driver. However not being from a PLC/Automation background having some difficulty, looking for some tips or recommendations on how to develop a software solution.

The abybus device is configured and on the network, o belive I have set up the modbus registers correctly on the anybuss device also. But not sure how to actually communicate from one end to the other and getting confused the more I read

What tasks to you expect to do execute remotely via communications? What data do expect from the Fluidwell?

For instance, do expect to write a preset value to the Fluidwell and then command the Fluidwell to start batching and expect to read a 'Done' status upon batch completion?

The Fluidwell Modbus communications manual is at this link:https://www.fluidwell.com/assets/downloads/Modbus_Protocol_v1303.pdf

The more useful N410 manual has the Modbus Slave register tables for the N410 in appendix C
https://www.fluidwell.com/assets/downloads/Manuals/FW-N410-P-M_v0203_01_EN.pdf

Although the Modbus manual Variable name table on page 13 of the comm manual states that variable 20 (Inputs) are not writeable variables, the N410 manual shows that register (4)0158 is the batch command register with Start, Stop and Release functions and register (4)0224 is read-only batch status with a "batch finished" status value.

A preset value can be written to (4)0201.

The Fluidwell is a Modbus slave and only speaks when spoken to, so to get a batch completed status, the Modbus master (your application) has to periodically poll the slave and request the status value and interpret the received value to determine when when the batch is completed.

The Fluidwell has only an RS-485 communications port. To communicate over a network, the Anybus box would be used as a Modbus RTU/serial-RS-485-to-Modbus/TCP-ethernet converter box. It (like all converter boxes) needs to be configured, it is not plug-n-play. (I did not check the specific model for Anybus, I assume it is one that does Modbus/TCP-RTU conversions)

So your task is to write an application that sends Modbus polls (a poll can be either a request to read data or a command to write a value/values) via a Modbus master over Ethernet that talks to the Anybus box which in turn talks to the Fluidwell, which replies with an acknowledgment.

I didn't get into the details of the totalizer, but you might be handling multiple register values for a totalizer and have to do some bit banging to get a value.

Fluidwell Modbus comm is slow; somewhere I noted a response/execution time in excess of 100mS. Although the Fluidwell comm manual mentions an advantage of Modbus ASCII as being able to 'sniff' the comm line with an ASCII terminal, but be aware that Modbus messages are so cryptic that viewing hexidecimal numbers represented as ASCII characters is essentially useless to most human beings; I'd recommend using Modbus RTU because of RTU is far more wide spread than Modbus ASCII nowadays.

It appears the keyboard serial settings on the N410 include an enable/disable function for Modbus - make sure Modbus is enabled if you're gonna use it.

You've a steep learning curve ahead. There are some decent Modbus overview videos on youtube.

Last edited: