InTouch - Invalid reference or unknown OCX Method

phuz

I forget if there is a way to find out what this is if I don't currently have access to the original HMI computer. I only have the InTouch project files and getting this error during migration. I need to see what this reference is so I can install it in my test environment.

You may have had an Active X added to the app (Like Microsoft Web Components) and if you did not install the Active X on the new PC, that may be issue.

You may have had an Active X added to the app (Like Microsoft Web Components) and if you did not install the Active X on the new PC, that may be issue.

That's exactly the issue; but my question was how do you find out what this missing reference is?

That's exactly the issue; but my question was how do you find out what this missing reference is?

Do you have development key? Do you see anything in "Configure>Wizard/ActiveX Installation>ActiveX Control Installation"? You may have to open each window and script to see if there is any reference to the Active-X. Including checking the window scripts.
Screwed because you do not have access to old HMI.

When you are opening app, does it appear to fail on opening a window? There is a way to disable that window, so it will not load.
Open the "ww_wdws.ndx" file in notepad. That shows you reference between window names and window (*.win) numbers.
You can also open each script in notepad to see what is going on. Any file with "*.?bk" as the extension is a backup file and can be deleted.

Last edited:
Do you have development key? Do you see anything in "Configure>Wizard/ActiveX Installation>ActiveX Control Installation"? You may have to open each window and script to see if there is any reference to the Active-X. Including checking the window scripts.
Screwed because you do not have access to old HMI.

When you are opening app, does it appear to fail on opening a window? There is a way to disable that window, so it will not load.
Open the "ww_wdws.ndx" file in notepad. That shows you reference between window names and window (*.win) numbers.
You can also open each script in notepad to see what is going on. Any file with "*.?bk" as the extension is a backup file and can be deleted.

Oh absolutely, I see the reference to the "name" of the ActiveX control in the scripting, but that doesn't tell me what the actual control is. That's just the chosen name from for that particular object. And because I don't have it installed, it doesn't show up in the config-> wizard/ActiveX box either.

On opening InTouch, none of the windows fail, but I get the error about no reference to method or OCX on several of the windows that contain the ActiveX control. And it replaces that control with what appears to be a browser control.

I watched the SMC, too, and it shows the errors about the failed ActiveX but never states the name of it.

Oh absolutely, I see the reference to the "name" of the ActiveX control in the scripting, but that doesn't tell me what the actual control is. That's just the chosen name from for that particular object. And because I don't have it installed, it doesn't show up in the config-> wizard/ActiveX box either.

On opening InTouch, none of the windows fail, but I get the error about no reference to method or OCX on several of the windows that contain the ActiveX control. And it replaces that control with what appears to be a browser control.

I watched the SMC, too, and it shows the errors about the failed ActiveX but never states the name of it.

So... You do not have original computer that that app was running on?
Version of Intouch you are running?

Try searching the hard disk for *.OCX on the HMI runtime computer, copy them all to an external USB flash. Maybe by looking at the properties of the most likely suspects you'll find it.

I usually take a hard disk image of HMI computers to try and sort things out like that.

Try searching the hard disk for *.OCX on the HMI runtime computer, copy them all to an external USB flash. Maybe by looking at the properties of the most likely suspects you'll find it.

I usually take a hard disk image of HMI computers to try and sort things out like that.

If I had that computer, I would just open InTouch and look at what ActiveX controls are installed.

Open .*.win in notepad and see if there are windows scripts listed for the Active-X. I use MSOffice Web Components Axctive-X to read a *.csv into an Excel spreadsheet. I do some setup of the Active-X in the on-show script on the window.

Open .*.win in notepad and see if there are windows scripts listed for the Active-X. I use MSOffice Web Components Axctive-X to read a *.csv into an Excel spreadsheet. I do some setup of the Active-X in the on-show script on the window.

Nothing but garbage when opening a .win file.

Untitled.png