Allen Bradley Micro820 PLC Sensors

johnsmith

Hi Everyone,

I have a small project where I need to read plc data from sensors and store them into a sql db.

Currently looking for:
- heat sensor
- humidity sensor
- vibration sensor
- smoke sensor

I have looked on Allen Bradley website and their sensors are expensive and not suitable for a small project.

Can you guys kindly suggest a place or website that I can look for that has global delivery?

Or maybe the sensor model that you might know that works with Allen Bradely Micro820 PLC.

Thanks in advance.

I guess this follows on from your previous post:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=134083

You haven't said if this is a personal or business project. For a personal project I would forget the Allen Bradley Micro820 and go with something like a Raspberry Pi. The small PC is cheap, sensors for it are cheap, and it can easily work with databases. It runs a version of Linux, running Python is no problem, as are many other Linux programs. Plus it is available in Malaysia.
The Pi forum is busy, you can see here that there are 100,000s of posts:
https://forums.raspberrypi.com/
Rapsberry Pi Humidity and Temperature sensor:
https://thepihut.com/products/dht11-temperature-humidity-sensor?

There are many other similar boards from other makers.

Last edited:
Yes, its a follow up post since I didn't want it to mix it up.

As for my project, this is basically a business project and their requirement is to use plc for some other monitoring later down the road.

Yes I have proposed Raspberry pi sensors but they seem to only go with PLC sensors.

I really need some expert advice on PLC sensors.

@BryanG, do you think we can use/connect raspberry pi sensors with to a PLC like micro820

I don't know anything about the Allen Bradley Micro820 PLC, I haven't ever used one. If you read the manual and then tell me what inputs it has, digital and analogue, then I should be able to help a bit more. I need to know the voltage and type of the digital inputs and the type of analogue inputs (voltage or/and current).

To my recollection, the Micro820 has (4) 0-10V analog inputs, (1) 0-10V analog output, and a series of discrete I/O which can be either 24DC/24AC/120AC and either NPN, PNP, or relay depending on exactly which model you select. The first thing I would do is verify exactly what I/O capabilities you'll be working with, as well as whether you need these sensors to provide analog values or simply switch when the monitored variable hits a certain threshold.

Now armed with this knowledge, take a trip over to any of the following sites and start poking around:

mcmaster.com
alliedelec.com
radwell.com
grainger.com
zoro.com

Most of these allow you to sort results by voltage, function, etc. depending on exactly what you're searching for.

2080-LC20-20QWB

Above is the PLC That I will be working with. And I also want the sensor to be able to provide me with analog values so that I can display it on a webpage.

I have tried the above links but their delivery time is really long and It exceeds the time frame for this project.

Question:

1- Do you think I can use Raspberry pi Sensors with my PLC Model?
Something like below
(https://www.amazon.com/Hiletgo-SW-420-Vibration-Sensor-Arduino/dp/B00HJ6ACY2)

2- Have you worked with Allen Bradly Micro820 PLC before?

Just do a search for 0-10v Smoke detector, heat, humidity, vibration that's 4 sensors and the 820 has 4 (0-10v) analog inputs embedded.

I did a quik search and found all kinds of sensors you mentioned all very affordable.
The Micro820 is a great choice for small projects. I have 100's in the field for over 10 years without any problems.

Just do a search for 0-10v Smoke detector, heat, humidity, vibration that's 4 sensors and the 820 has 4 (0-10v) analog inputs embedded.

I did a quik search and found all kinds of sensors you mentioned all very affordable.
The Micro820 is a great choice for small projects. I have 100's in the field for over 10 years without any problems.

Yeah thanks for the help, I guess I was not searching for the right keywords. I have found a Temp + Humidity Sensor combo which have 0-10v and analog output hopefully I can get it working with my PLC micro820.