PLC-5 Failed Firmware update Question

bikerdude

Greetings,
I purchased a firmware update for our PLC-5/L60B.
After installation the CH-1A LED is supposed to be blinking green, according to the instructions. Well.. it would not blink red or green or yellow. Nothing on any channel lighting up at all. After 3 hours of pulling hair, I had to install the old firmware. Powers up and runs fine with old chips inside. Just wondering if there was maybe something I could do to make it work short of sending it back. Just so you know, I double checked the chips for correct orientation and placement.
Funny thing happened though. With new firmware in place I tried to download the program file even though the light would not blink. A screen popped up asking me if I wanted to change the processor type to REV "R" and resize the data tables. I clicked "Yes" and no comms after that. Curious as to how the RSLogix5 software knew the revision was different if there was no communication at that time. Strange! I probably should have changed the revision setting in the controller properties page, saved the file first before attempting the download. Anyone have experience with this before?
Tony

Hi,
Guest status here at work 'cause can't remember my pasword.
Any how I'm playing phone tag with tech support at the moment.
series B revision C at start of mess if it makes any difference.
Bikerdude

Did you try to cycle power without battery?

You definately should do it after you replaced chips.
Also I would try to autoconfigure DF1 driver again and see if you can get online.

And like mentioned eralier check that upgrade is for correct PLC series.

What a Day!!
Finally I can get back to this topic.
It didn't dawn on me to reboot without the battery installed. I wonder what that could change. Some of the chips are E-Proms right? And some are EE-Proms I assume. Anyhow the tech support guy is contacting the factory people with all the same info I gave him when I ordered. They are supposed to get back to me with the compatability concerns. The box the chips came in was marked PLC-5/L60B Ser B Rev R. My CPU is marked PLC-5/L60B Ser B Rev C. Looks like the right parts to me. He mentioned that there should have been a software disk included. I didn't get any software. He thinks maybe someone at the factory forgot to include it. There was no mention in the instructions about software. Go figure!

Bikerdude

I think (can't verify now) that ser B processor does not requier any flash update (disk you mentioned).
All chips are EPROMs, I am not aware of any EEPROM used.

So most likely one of the chips is bad or you may just did not put them into socket correctly. I would try again.