Wonderware Trend - Pen comments

bobbuilder

Is there a way to get the tag comments of the pens to display on a trend page? Not sure how to explain this but basically I would need something like HTGetPenName but instead of the name I need the comment (like "HTGetPenComment" or "TrendName.PenX.Comment")

I can do it when I first call up a trend w/ a script but all the trends' pens can be changed on the fly so I need something for whatever pen is being displayed...

I did this by creating analog indirect tags for each of the pens, say indirect1,2,3. Then having a window script execute every 1000msec that assigns a tag to the indirect.

indirect1.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,1);
indirect2.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,2);
indirect3.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,3);
indirect4.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,4);
indirect5.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,5);
indirect6.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,6);
indirect7.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,7);
indirect8.name = htgetpenname(histdata, updatecount,8);

then on the window display as a string indirect1.comment and this will contain the comment.

If there's a better way I'd love to know. Drawback to this approach is the tag you want to indirect must be the same type as the indirect, real to real, integer to integer, etc.

-Will