Panel Plus V5.10 Problems

Wait, wait, back up.

Verify that the development computer has the exact same RSLinx Enterprise drivers, network schema, and Shortcut definitions in the Development and Runtime tabs. If you haven't been matching these by using the "Copy" button then you might not have the same configuration on the terminal as on the development computer.

On the PanelView Plus, create a Diagostic screen that is full-screen and has a large diagnostic summary area, so that you can see any error messages that appear on the terminal.

In the interest of being thorough: Please post the text of any error messages you see on the PanelView terminal's Diagnostic screen that you think might be related to the communication problems you are encountering.

It is possible that the 5.10 firmware in your terminal might not support communications to the v18 CompactLogix L43S controller, while the FactoryTalk View development software does. I cannot say for certain because I do not have those exact versions to test and I do not work for Rockwell Automation's technical support division.

Any additional information you can post about the Tags (are they inside the Safety Task ?) you are trying to read and the error messages you are seeing would be useful.

Do you have the patches up to date ? Seems ridiculous to release software without having verified compatibility with their own products! I didn't see any notes about it in the release notes under known issues.

What curlyandshemp is describing is deleting the Controller itself from the RSLinx Enterprise communication schema, then manually replacing it with a known-compatible controller.

This can be tricky because RSLinx Enterprise constantly browses for the controllers behind the Ethernet modules that are defined in the schema.

I disconnect my development computer from the network before performing this procedure:

1. In RSLinx Enterprise Communication Setup window, right-click on the CompactLogix CPU itself (not the Ethernet module, or the 1768 Bus backplane), right-click and select "Delete".

2. Right-click on the 1768 Bus backplane and select "Add Device". Choose a similar controller (like a 1768-L43) that is supported by your version of FactoryTalk View Studio and RSLinx Enterprise.

3. Select the Shortcut and the CompactLogix CPU and click the "Apply" button in the Shortcut Definition window.

4. Click the "Copy from Design to Runtime" button in the RSLinx Enterprise configuration window. This copies the newly modified configuration from the Development tab to the Runtime tab. That's the definition that will be downloaded to the PanelView when you create a *.MER file.

I try it with the L43S and Version 19 --> Won´t work

I go offline an try the L43 --> Work !!! but not with Version 18

It look like that RSLinx Enterprise has some Problems with the L4XS Processors.

So just to be clear, version 18 didn't work correctly on either processor but version 19 works on the standard controller? Did you do a firmware update on the Panelview? I know from my several conversations with tech support that they always have me update and match the CPR levels with patches. I was running a version 5 distributed project and after several months RS Linx Enterprise messed up and after 20 hours and an update to version 6, the problem was fixed. The strange thing is I had to delete my ethernet I/p driver to get enterprise back in line.

upgrade firmware

I has the same issue with a PVP700 v5.1 communicating to a compactlogix 1769-L36ERM . Downloaded upadated firmware from Rockwell's site and updates the pvp. Issue solved.

Hi friend

I am working with panel view plus 700 HMI and L61 PLC processor.

I want to edit HMI tag's. Please help me, How to edit PV+ 700 tag's

So just to be clear, version 18 didn't work correctly on either processor but version 19 works on the standard controller? Did you do a firmware update on the Panelview? I know from my several conversations with tech support that they always have me update and match the CPR levels with patches. I was running a version 5 distributed project and after several months RS Linx Enterprise messed up and after 20 hours and an update to version 6, the problem was fixed. The strange thing is I had to delete my ethernet I/p driver to get enterprise back in line.

Okay, I am having the same issue only different controller. I am using a compactLogix 1769-L24ER-QB1B running version 20.13. Panelview Plus 1000 running 5.10 (highest available). I sm only allowed to use RSLogix 5000 v20.03 in my plant. I tried updating my controller to every newer version but none of them seem to work with my RSLogix software version except 20.13. I am getting the same message.

"WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "PLC". Device name = "TL2_CPLX_41_VMI_MILL_LOADER_dev3". Description: The system has detected that a device that is not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. This situation may not cause any runtime error if the system, upon which this project is to be run, has received a patch or has been upgraded to a newer version that support for this device. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged in the target system when the system attempts to communicate to that device.

I was just going to ignore this and go on but the panelview isn't able to see any of the tags from the PLC. My computer can see them because I did online tag addressing. I can also use the "test" mode and everything works fine, just not on the panelview.

What should I do?

Oh, and i am using Factory talk view studio v6.10

Thank you!

Since you are limited to using only RSLogix 5000 version 20.03, you're going to be restricted to 20.x firmware in any of your controllers. That's normal.

Because your PanelView Plus terminal has the older pre-6 hardware, it's going to be restricted to running version 5.10.x firmware. Also normal.

And that version 5.10.x firmware probably won't recognize the 1769-L24 CompactLogix. Controller identities and support are hard-coded into the RSLinx Enterprise software that's part of the runtime firmware bundle that's installed on the terminal.

So you probably need an upgrade to the PanelView Plus firmware.

RA Knowledgebase article ID # 490905 suggests that the PV+ firmware that will support CompactLogix controllers with v20 firmware is 5.10.08.

Since you are limited to using only RSLogix 5000 version 20.03, you're going to be restricted to 20.x firmware in any of your controllers. That's normal.

Because your PanelView Plus terminal has the older pre-6 hardware, it's going to be restricted to running version 5.10.x firmware. Also normal.

And that version 5.10.x firmware probably won't recognize the 1769-L24 CompactLogix. Controller identities and support are hard-coded into the RSLinx Enterprise software that's part of the runtime firmware bundle that's installed on the terminal.

RA Knowledgebase article ID # 490905 suggests that the PV+ firmware that will support CompactLogix controllers with v20 firmware is 5.10.08.

Thanks for the quick reply.

I tried clicking your link so that I could read more about it but it takes me to a site wanting me to log in, i used my login from Rockwell and it just says access validated.

Looking up my panelview fw on rockwells support site only gives me to version 5.10.06.09. I don't see anything higher than that.

I talked to an engineer out at the plant just now and he said that I could upgrade my RSLogix to 5000 v20.04 but that was it. So tomorrow when I get back to work I will try and see what I can do.

The downloads page for my controller fw says that all the newer revisions are compatible with 20.03 though, so I don't know why they weren't working. Also , im my program I am unable to change the minor revision, it just allows me to change the major, but there isn't anything there to change it to.

Im going to attatch pictures of the links and what my error messages are when I flash the controller to any higher revision.

Is this a controller issue, or a panelview issue?

Thanks!

Capture.jpg Capture2.jpg Capture4.jpg Capture3.jpg Capture5.JPG

Okay, so creating the runtime application in version 6.0 I don't get any errors. So I think I understand it a little bit better now. RSLinx Enterprise is the issue. Is there any way to change this? Its looking like I need a panelview plus 6 to communicate with the compactlogix controller.