OT: My job's being eliminated

OkiePC said:
UPDATE: It's a temp contract (scab) job,
Paul

Anyone who refers to a temp or Non Union Position as a "Scab Job" deserves to be unemployed... Those "Scabs" are people doing there jobs, as, and most of the time more effectively than there union counter parts.....

I did not understand the context of that reply darren.

I relate "scab" as being someone that does work that a union member could do, but not with union permission per se i.e example; doing work while union is on strike.

A temp job is just that, a job that is probably temporary but may have an option for permanent status.

Perhaps it is me who is mistaken..

A "scab" is a person doing a job that a union person can do..however that person isn't in any union..As a sparky going thru school i had to put up with being called a scab because i wasn't a "member"..so i get pretty bitter when i hear that word..For the most part the people who called people scabs were the lazy incompetent people who needed the union just keep a job..

I am sorry Paul if i took you statement out of context..

Sorry if I misused the term...It is a picket-line crossing temporary job...

And YES, after busting my a** for 25 years non-stop, I agree, I do deserve to be unemployed...

Sell everything, buy a truck and trailer and go on the road.

Murphy Brothers, a carnival, is based out of OK, decent start in this biz. Good part is it is an old show but not locked to family ties i.e. options are open and available.

rsdoran said:
Sell everything, buy a truck and trailer and go on the road.

Murphy Brothers, a carnival, is based out of OK, decent start in this biz. Good part is it is an old show but not locked to family ties i.e. options are open and available.

I already have a truck (2 of them actually) and very little as far as possessions to get rid of...and as much fun as that sounds like, I think I'll hook up with my uncle as a WORM on the oil rig before I run away with the carnival...

Okay, now how many people will be offended by this one ?.?.?.

I was semi joking but you could do worse, check it out. You are smart, willing to do physical labor etc, carnivals are always looking for those attributes.

Do not dismiss it if nothing else prevails and you have the freedom to do it.

OkiePC said:
I already have a truck (2 of them actually) and very little as far as possessions to get rid of...and as much fun as that sounds like, I think I'll hook up with my uncle as a WORM on the oil rig before I run away with the carnival...

Okay, now how many people will be offended by this one ?.?.?.
funny okiepc,,i was coming back here cause i still have coworkers emailing me for advice and i often refer to this site when asked,,and tonight i decided to take a step down memory lane,,being i havent lost my love for plcs,,and to see okiepc mention a WORM on a oil rig,,well,ive not heard of the term worm,,maybe its a tech one,,i hope its not derrogatory,,

I took a job in the oil industry 6 months ago due to the enormous opportunities out there,,and so far its been good to me,,my first goal was to work with controls on a rig,,but found a side to the industry thats interesting and the money is awesome,,I have a 5 year plan with this path,,

my point is that everyone should take pride in their work,,i dont care if your a dishwasher,,a job is a job,,i hear too much in places ive worked 'well,they only pay me xxx$/hr,,so what do they expect,,,when they should be thinking "i have a job,,so ill fulfill my commitment"

i am going to look into the WORM comment,,maybe its not a term ive come across in the industry,,(still only 6 months in),,but if it is a derrogatory comment,,please let me know why you think so,,I see some hard working roughnecks out there that bust their a$$ to support their families,,and make more money than alot of techs out there,,and have half the month off,,

Fred Raud