Change data table address with comments in RSLogix500?

rupej

I have Logix500 project where I have to change a large number of addresses. For example, all N7:X integers will need to be renamed to N107:X, the ladder elements will need to use the new addresses, and descriptions and symbols need to be changed too.

Is there a utility or a way to do this in excel? It would be an insane undertaking to do manually...

Thanks so much!

In RSL500, you can change all occurrences of N7:X to N107:X, but it also gives you the option of copying OR moving the address comments. In the editor, press ctrl-h and the REPLACE dialog has replace options toward the bottom. A nice feature that didn't carry over to RSL5000 as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
control-H
Find: N7:*
Replace: N107:*
Set move comment

To copy the date, open each table and select all the data and copy, then open other table go to word 0 and hit paste.

Yes, you can export your descriptions to a .CSV file (ASCII Export) and then perform your edits within Excel and then import the changes. That can be a lot easier sometimes than the search and replace. If you have the "Pro" version, there is an Edit with Excel option too. That option does not require an export or import.

But as mentioned, the search and replace can move the descriptions.

OG

Thanks for the help guys! I'll give this a try.

Just out of curiosity, for 5000, do you have to use the export to excel option or is there a built-in utility for that also?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys! I'll give this a try.

Just out of curiosity, for 5000, do you have to use the export to excel option or is there a built-in utility for that also?

Its different in RS5K, you open up the tag browser, set the scope (controller or program), adjust the filter, select and copy, edit the copied name (it appends a "1") and description. CTRL-H does work through all of that, its just different because being tag based verses file base.

You can also export to a CSV, edit, and then import.