Need Help Tips Learning Allen Bradley PLC

luiscantu88

Hello all!

At my current job, we use Omron PLCs. This has been the only PLC brand I have professionally worked with. I need to move to another city, and as I search for jobs, most places use Allen Bradley PLCs. From the interviews I have had, it is obvious I would have much better luck if my Omron PLC experience was AB instead. I am hopeful I will get the correct opportunity at the correct time, but in the mean time, how can I give myself more value to be become a better candidate for future employers?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Knowing ladder logic is a good start no matter what PLC. Logic is logic.
Knowing all the more common HMI's is good no matter the PLC, a tag is a tag, but making nice screens that are logically and neatly laid out is what counts.
Learning AB the best is to learn by doing. You can buy some Compact Logix cheap used, software is a little more difficult.

When we interview people we always ask for examples of what they have done in the past, with screen shots and ladder print outs if available. Again we don't care what PLC/HMI as long as it is done nicely. If I see a ton of structured text or function chart I cringe, unless they were told to do it that way.