Getting Fault Error on SLC-500 (S:1/13 = 1)

wlr3m4

I am getting the following error on my PLC and I haven't experenced this kind before. What should I do? I can't find that error code online. We had a breaker changed which killed power to the PLC for the entire day and nothing was done to the code or PLC at all.

Any ideas?

PLC_FAULT.png

In general, SLC-500 controller backplane diagnostics are very good. The most likely explanation is that the module in Slot 2 is bad.

It could be that the I/O module in Slot 2 has been damaged, or that the backplane is failing, or even be an unusual power supply issue.

My usual first step is to Inhibit the affected slot and see if the fault code re-curs with another slot number. That points to the backplane.

Swapping out a new I/O module will also rule out the I/O module itself as the cause.

Just a little something I would like to throw out there:

Does this processor have an EEPROM? If so, it is quite possible a different program has been loaded with a different io configuration.

Just a little something I would like to throw out there:

Does this processor have an EEPROM? If so, it is quite possible a different program has been loaded with a different io configuration.

It was powered off for a while (8 hours), does this EEPROM store a program to download to the PLC if it is powered off?

It loads the program on program corruption or loss. For instance, a dead battery. I can't remember if it loads them on power up. There is a project setting for them, or you can pull the processor and see if it has the removable chip in the socket.

It loads the program on program corruption or loss. For instance, a dead battery. I can't remember if it loads them on power up. There is a project setting for them, or you can pull the processor and see if it has the removable chip in the socket.

I can still go online with my program but it faults immediately if I clear the fault. Wouldn't it detect a mismatch if there was a different program loaded?

I can still go online with my program but it faults immediately if I clear the fault. Wouldn't it detect a mismatch if there was a different program loaded?

If you are getting online, then your program does match. It is probably a failed card and in most all cases the CPU will correctly identify the slot.

In rare cases backplane noise is so bad that it the CPU can misidentify the slot, so it might report that it cannot tell which slot has a problem or might be one or two slots away where the real culprit is.

Another thing I have seen twice is a problem with a field device wired to one of the middle points of a relay card. A surge from an inductive load wired to that card can create noise on the backplane and the two middle points have their relays mounted very close to the backplane.

http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=13403