How to change Tag address through AB HMI

Nan

Hi,

I am working on a project that has l32e and panelview 7. I am just wondering if there is an easy way we can change the plc tag address through HMI. :geek:
Thank you!

What exactly are your trying to do, and why ?

You cannot change a Tag Name through any HMI, least of all a PanelView Plus.

That would require the components of Studio 5000 that perform edits to the Tag Database, and it would require an in-line automatic edit of every object in the HMI application that references that tag.

While this is not technically impossible, I've never heard anyone ask for such a function, and the software features to accomplish it do not exist in the FactoryTalk View platform nor in any HMI I've ever used.

Thanks for your reply, we have different tool connect to our machine, when they change the tool, some of the inputs and outputs may change for the tool functions, if we can change the input and output address associated to the tool function through HMI, then we do not have to go to customer for tool change.

You could perform the function from inside the PLC by using MOV commands to rewrite tags based on an HMI input.

Thanks for your reply, we have different tool connect to our machine, when they change the tool, some of the inputs and outputs may change for the tool functions, if we can change the input and output address associated to the tool function through HMI, then we do not have to go to customer for tool change.

Sounds like you should map your program outputs to different tags, and then setup a subroutine that maps the program outputs to the actual outputs depending on which tool is selected on the panelview.

Or rewire all of your tools to be compatible.

>setup a subroutine that maps the program outputs to the actual outputs depending on which tool is selected on the panelview.

That's a good description of what I call the "I/O abstraction routine".

I have a system that's on its fifth iteration with different modular I/O systems. I have the same program running in all five machines, but select an I/O mapping routine based on a tag (literally "HW_VER") that tells me which machine I've loaded the program into.

My routine also programmatically inhibits or un-inhibits the I/O device configurations for the different devices. I've reserved a range of IP addresses so every new machine variation uses a different IP for it's I/O devices, so they can all be in the I/O tree.

For OP's system where there is modular tooling... this is exactly where auto-ID and abstraction are critical parts of the machine program.

>setup a subroutine that maps the program outputs to the actual outputs depending on which tool is selected on the panelview.

That's a good description of what I call the "I/O abstraction routine".

I have a system that's on its fifth iteration with different modular I/O systems. I have the same program running in all five machines, but select an I/O mapping routine based on a tag (literally "HW_VER") that tells me which machine I've loaded the program into.

My routine also programmatically inhibits or un-inhibits the I/O device configurations for the different devices. I've reserved a range of IP addresses so every new machine variation uses a different IP for it's I/O devices, so they can all be in the I/O tree.

For OP's system where there is modular tooling... this is exactly where auto-ID and abstraction are critical parts of the machine program.

I wonder if I could hijack this thread for a moment. I make a master program that I then use on different processes where usually the only difference is vessel sizes and setpoint ranges. I have the program look at the IP address of one of its EN2T modules to determine which process its running.

I usually have to manually modify the master copy to change certain thing before downloading, such as the processor name and change the consumed processor IP addresses There's no way to programmably change the processor name though. Can I change the Consumed tag IP address in the I/O tree programmably?

Could you share what you did to change some of the I/O configurations that you mentioned above? Thanks.