Issue with RSLinx & Excel

almog44

I use dde/OPC to read tag vaule in excel file
its working ok when rslinx running NOT as service
but when I run rslinx as service I got an error at excel:
"Remote data is not accessible."
how can I fix it, I need the rslinx run as service

I seem to remember a problem like this before having to do with the application name when running as a service. You don't use rslinx but something else. If you have a tech connect account I would search there or call tech support.

Using a quick search here is a public answer:
RSLinx Classic and Terminal Services/Remote Desktop 68346 | Date Created: 05/03/2010 | Last Updated: 07/01/2019
Access Level: Everyone

Another answer (#533000) that came up is tech connect level only. But states that they no longer support DDE in Windows 7 and OPC has to be used.
They also suggest using the OPC test client. If it works when running as a service then you should be okay. If not then they blame Microsoft (typical).

Last edited:
When running an application as a service it is running as a local system user under session 0. Desktop applications run as the logged in user in Session 1 or higher. Because these are different sessions and accounts the connection has to be made using NetDDE which Microsoft deprecated and is no longer available in Windows 7 and higher. It was removed for security purposes.