OT: Sensor

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.

If I was trying to detect a black object I would go with either a 'through beam' type sensor - where a transmitter sends a light beam to a receiver and the black object blocks the beam as it goes by. Or a 'retroreflective' sensor where the light beam goes from the photo-eye to a reflector and back. (Again, the black object would block the beam and be detected.)

In another application where we work we have white paper, and we want to detect a black mark on the paper. In this case a 'proximity' photo-eye does the job. Adjust the sensitivity of the eye such that it reliably picks up the white paper (or brown or blue) but does not pick the reflection from the black mark. (In this case a flat black tape stuck to the white paper.)

Banner has a nice series of photo eyes for these purposes.

Poet.

What is the application, I had similar problems on a folding carton machine that had Photo sensors (Diffuse) looking at box as it folded to detect jam up, Some of the ink used on a particular customers product was a black the sensors would not read thus thinking the box was out of position set off the jam detection and stop machine. Through beam or retro reflective would have fixed this but a higher quality Diffused did the trick.

Application is detecting a metal collar insert on a molded plastic part. I have attached herewith a photo depicting the production set-up. Basically, they insert the metal to the molded plastic and pressed it using pneumatic. We need to make sure that metal is really inserted, hence we use a fiber optic sensor to detect its presence and absence. However, the user find the fiber sensitive, because there are cases of mis-detection.

Since the molded plastic is black I thought that a sensor (fiber optic or any) that will disregard dark colors might be a better option.

Picture2.png