Turn on a Pump from multiple devices

jthornton

Automation Direct Click PLC, I turn on one device at a time but have a pump zone associated with the zone configured for that device. There are 2 zones so each device could have either zone but never both. Trying to figure out a slick way to turn on that zone pump(s) when that device is filling.

Thanks
JT

Can you explain the logic again?
I cannot understand what you are trying to do.
Input switch -
Pump Zone -
2 Zones?

Thanks,

I have 48 inputs and 48 outputs some will be assigned to zone 1 and some to zone 2 for queuing in the fifo. Each pump is assigned a zone or off.

Say hopper 5 is up to the top of the queue and it's zone is set to 1 I need to start if not running any pumps in zone 1, then keep the pump(s) running for a period of time. I think I have it solved with this except for it only handles one zone atm. So I'm thinking I need to use DS21 for current zone 2... more thinking is needed.
pump.jpg

JT

Last edited:
If you do the wiring, then probably you will understand how you will deal with it. Any pump or motor will run by a contactor - you can use two. a contactor will be controlled by a relay - you can use two. a relay is driven by a plc output - you can use two.

but we normally use one instead of two or more, this means normally we use one plc to control a pump, if another plc wants the pump on, it gives a require signal, and the plc controls will have a logic to turn the pump on/off.

In this case it's all the same system with one plc. They just have the option to assign pumps and hoppers to a zone. It's a hopper filling control station. When a hopper calls for material it is added to the bottom of the queue, as each hopper finishes the queue is moved up one and the next one starts. Each zone has it's own queue. Fun for sure.

JT

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve but you could try setting each zone or valve as a bit in an integer?
IE with all motors off you have 0000 0000 0000 0000 and all valves off 0000 0000 0000 0000
If zone 1 turns on motors 1 and 2 and valves 5 and 6 then
Zone 1 = 0000 0000 0000 0011
0000 0000 0011 0000.

And so on for all your zones.

Much easier to do in a structured text format but you could break an integer down to its components in ladder.