Red Lion G304K Alarm Ticker 1 problem

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
My little project is almost done now, I have an answer for syncronizing the clock with the PLC, and have added the proper alarm text to my alarm bits.

EDIT: Under Help About... I am running Crimson 3.0 (R2 Build 205) I think that shoudl actually say 207 I think since I downloaded the one with RSLogix .csv import capability.

Now, I have an issue with the alarm ticker I added to the bottom of my screens.

On the G304K, the alarm text overhangs the boundaries of the alarm ticker object and overlaps a screen navigation button.

On the Alarm Ticker 1 format tab, I have Arial 20 selected as the font. I have tried adding a border of one pixel to the object, but that did not help.

There seems to be missing a word wrap, or number of lines option. Anyway, when the alarm ticker flashes, the graphic area outside of its border is not refreshed, so pieces of the previous alarm remain until another one with a long enough width comes along and paints over it.

Once I fix that, I will be ready to install this little bad boy and see if it can survive in the real world.

TIA
Paul

G304K Alarm Ticker 1 Problem.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, apparently so. Shouldn't the ticker word wrap or truncate the text though? Or perhaps side scroll it? Is there another alarm ticker I can use?

My little project is almost done now, I have an answer for syncronizing the clock with the PLC, and have added the proper alarm text to my alarm bits.

EDIT: Under Help About... I am running Crimson 3.0 (R2 Build 205) I think that shoudl actually say 207 I think since I downloaded the one with RSLogix .csv import capability.

Now, I have an issue with the alarm ticker I added to the bottom of my screens.

On the G304K, the alarm text overhangs the boundaries of the alarm ticker object and overlaps a screen navigation button.

On the Alarm Ticker 1 format tab, I have Arial 20 selected as the font. I have tried adding a border of one pixel to the object, but that did not help.

There seems to be missing a word wrap, or number of lines option. Anyway, when the alarm ticker flashes, the graphic area outside of its border is not refreshed, so pieces of the previous alarm remain until another one with a long enough width comes along and paints over it.

Once I fix that, I will be ready to install this little bad boy and see if it can survive in the real world.

TIA
Paul

Try downloading again. I am using 207 and it says 207 under Help-About.

Okay, guys thanks for the quick responses again. For now, I just moved the ticker to the top of the screen and made it the full width of the screen and reduced the font size.

Is build 207 on the regular update site yet? I have other irons in my fire today and tomorrow but hopefully I will get a chance to learn more about Crimson during the next week or so.

At this point, I am very pleased with Crimson 3 and the Kadet for its features and ease of use. I only put about four hours into creating a functional application including the time it took to learn how to get around in the software. Hopefully, we will get to try out a full blown G3 on ethernet in another application soon.

This little G304K at about $335, is ten times the machine that it's replacing (the panelview 300 micro) and less money.

Small issues like the one above are not a show stopper, and I have much confidence that those details will be fixed in the near future.

Last edited:
Okay, guys thanks for the quick responses again. For now, I just moved the ticker to the top of the screen and made it the full width of the screen and reduced the font size.

Is build 207 on the regular update site yet? I have other irons in my fire today and tomorrow but hopefully I will get a chance to learn more about Crimson during the next week or so.

At this point, I am very pleased with Crimson 3 and the Kadet for its features and ease of use. I only put about four hours into creating a functional application including the time it took to learn how to get around in the software. Hopefully, we will get to try out a full blown G3 on ethernet in another application soon.

This little G304K at about $335, is ten times the machine that it's replacing (the panelview 300 micro) and less money.

Small issues like the one above are not a show stopper, and I have much confidence that those details will be fixed in the near future.

The website shows R200 but if you download it you will get 207. You can also choose Help - Check For Update and let it install the new one it installs. If it doesn't see a new one (because you have a pre-release 207) you can go to the website and download it and uninstall your current version and install the new download.

207 is on the update site, but the main website doesn't get refreshed until we do the nightly copy-over. Also, 207 is 207. We don't reuse the build numbers, unless we're going between branches. So R2 207 is always R2 207.

207 is on the update site, but the main website doesn't get refreshed until we do the nightly copy-over. Also, 207 is 207. We don't reuse the build numbers, unless we're going between branches. So R2 207 is always R2 207.

Sorry, I didn't think that was the case, but he said he had downloaded 207 but Help-About said 205. I thought maybe there was an oops...

I knew that I had downloaded 207 and the Help-About said 207.

Paul,
off-topic but:
I'm about to go down the G306K route and would appreciate any thoughts as to comparing the 306 with a PVplus 600.
Refresh rates, image looks, stuff like that.If you don't mind posting here great, otherwise send me a pm.
I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but it will help me a lot pulling the trigger.
Software isn't an issue,I have been playing with crimson 3.0 for a few days and looks good.

Thanks,

BK.

Paul,
off-topic but:
I'm about to go down the G306K route and would appreciate any thoughts as to comparing the 306 with a PVplus 600.
Refresh rates, image looks, stuff like that.If you don't mind posting here great, otherwise send me a pm.
I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but it will help me a lot pulling the trigger.
Software isn't an issue,I have been playing with crimson 3.0 for a few days and looks good.

Thanks,

BK.

I am new to them but here's my first thought's on your comparison, since we burn through a lot of PV+600's here.

The PV+600 has ethernet, where my Kadet has dual serial in a single D-Sub 9 pin male right on the bottom. Think right angle hood (backshell) if you mount it directly above something.

The Kadet looks like a much better built device than the PV+. My 8 page 100 tag application for my ~$350 four inch is up and running in 7 seconds after I switch on the power.

SPeaking of power, Crimson 3.0 is rude and clean. It doesn't have some of the pre configured settings you'll find in the PV+ and some other HMIs, but it does offer a very powerful raw, open, and flexible command language that appears to have awesome potential.

Crimson 3.0 is like a full box of hand tools and huge variety of nuts and bolts, and the FactoryTalk View Based PV+ is more like a few shelves of power tools, some with missing chuck keys, and arcing brushes.

The boot time of the Kadet alone would pay for them on our patty forming machines, because they get powered down and locked out for adjustments sometimes a dozen or more times a day, and waiting for a PV....something like 3 minutes I think. So the Red Lion Kadet boots 20 times faster.

That tells me something that I really like.

Some other things I noticed:

Their online help is best reached via F1. The menu help is a link to a non indexed pdf which is pretty good, and will be as good as a/b manuals, once Mike and the others get to work on adding some bookmarks and page-jumps to it.

If you need Ethernet, get the full blown G3 with multiple ports and ethernet.

My first impressions are very good. C3 software has only hiccupped once and it recovered all but the last 3 minutes of my work automatically (prompt to recover). I was running so many apps at the time, it's be hard to fault Crimson. I have also noticed that it hogs the foreground. If I want to click over to another application, C3 will take focus back often, but will relinquish on the 2nd try.

I expect the G3 to be faster more capable and more reliable. The extra time you might have to spend to roll your own clock sync routines, and page control registers, would be more than offset with FTView hassles and the boot times of the PV+ in my opinion.

No RSLinx enterprise to deal with, no Factory Talk Directory Services, updating the live running G304K was very quick, and the cable I have allows me to use both serial ports and test it on DH485 to the PLC, reload the application and be running again in under a minute...This little thing is color, has a nice sleek bezel and housing, and a pretty tough looking touchscreen. I don't see a compactflash on mine, but I have seen references to that feature...

I am rambling but back to creating an app.

Using their RSLogix import feature (download build 207) made it so easy. I chopped the .csv output from Logix in excel so it only had the tags I wanted, then it imported them and named them all based on the PLC address except for one which happened to have a symbol name.

Then those tags appeared on the right hand side, and I dragged and dropped them on the screens where I wanted...within an hour I had all the values on all the screens and only had to check a tickbox on the ones that were data entry fields.

The software has copy and paste properties features that make it easy to change the properties of lots of objects easily.

My favorite is the alignment markers that appear while moving things on screen. It makes neatness and alignment effortless.

I haven't got into the "pretties" yet. I used a couple of the library buttons "as-is" and some arrow symbols. The screen is bright and colors are clear. It matches what you see at design time. The only snag I had graphically was the uncontained Alarm Ticker.

I did make a trend screen and datalog, and it was effortless and it actually worked on the first try! I am not sure how much data I can log or whether I need to manage the file size, but it has about 25 hours worth of data in it that I can graphically navigate. I would expect that it's possible to extract that data remotely too?

The screen is very responsive too. When I built my cable to be installed on the macine, I had a buddy watch the screen while I touched the already crimped pins on the test rack SLC 5/04. I wanted to be sure I had 2 and 3 in the right spots before I snapped them in the DB9 shell. The instant I made connection, he said "there it is". The first time viewing each page, the tags would be "---" and would be populated with data within a second. There was a longer delay when losing comms before the data on screen would go back to that unknown state, but that is normal, and it recovered nicely from losing comms, and then having them restored, unlike the PV+600 which doesn't recover nicely and can require a reboot following a comms loss.

I need to remember to add a tag with a link to the system comms status to trigger an alarm...

I don't think we will waste any time at least converting our old RIO and DH485 PV standards to shiny new G3s. The PV+ app on our forming machines is the property of the OEM, but the boss is supposed to be getting us a confidentiality agreement signed and I would do the development myself if necessary before we get rid of the PV600 Pluses, but if I was asked tomorrow, I would go with the full blown G3 to replace the PV+, or at least a model with Ethernet and a memory card slot.

Paul

Paul,
off-topic but:

Thanks,

BK.

I am new to them but here's my first thought's on your comparison, since we burn through a lot of PV+600's here.

The PV+600 has ethernet, where my Kadet has dual serial in a single D-Sub 9 pin male right on the bottom. Think right angle hood (backshell) if you mount it directly above something.

The Kadet looks like a much better built device than the PV+. My 8 page 100 tag application for my ~$350 four inch is up and running in 7 seconds after I switch on the power.

SPeaking of power, Crimson 3.0 is rude and clean. It doesn't have some of the pre configured settings you'll find in the PV+ and some other HMIs, but it does offer a very powerful raw, open, and flexible command language that appears to have awesome potential.

Crimson 3.0 is like a full box of hand tools and huge variety of nuts and bolts, and the FactoryTalk View Based PV+ is more like a few shelves of power tools, some with missing chuck keys, and arcing brushes.

The boot time of the Kadet alone would pay for them on our patty forming machines, because they get powered down and locked out for adjustments sometimes a dozen or more times a day, and waiting for a PV....something like 3 minutes I think. So the Red Lion Kadet boots 20 times faster.

That tells me something that I really like.

Some other things I noticed:

Their online help is best reached via F1. The menu help is a link to a non indexed pdf which is pretty good, and will be as good as a/b manuals, once Mike and the others get to work on adding some bookmarks and page-jumps to it.

If you need Ethernet, get the full blown G3 with multiple ports and ethernet.

My first impressions are very good. C3 software has only hiccupped once and it recovered all but the last 3 minutes of my work automatically (prompt to recover). I was running so many apps at the time, it's be hard to fault Crimson. I have also noticed that it hogs the foreground. If I want to click over to another application, C3 will take focus back often, but will relinquish on the 2nd try.

I expect the G3 to be faster more capable and more reliable. The extra time you might have to spend to roll your own clock sync routines, and page control registers, would be more than offset with FTView hassles and the boot times of the PV+ in my opinion.

No RSLinx enterprise to deal with, no Factory Talk Directory Services, updating the live running G304K was very quick, and the cable I have allows me to use both serial ports and test it on DH485 to the PLC, reload the application and be running again in under a minute...This little thing is color, has a nice sleek bezel and housing, and a pretty tough looking touchscreen. I don't see a compactflash on mine, but I have seen references to that feature...

I am rambling but back to creating an app.

Using their RSLogix import feature (download build 207) made it so easy. I chopped the .csv output from Logix in excel so it only had the tags I wanted, then it imported them and named them all based on the PLC address except for one which happened to have a symbol name.

Then those tags appeared on the right hand side, and I dragged and dropped them on the screens where I wanted...within an hour I had all the values on all the screens and only had to check a tickbox on the ones that were data entry fields.

The software has copy and paste properties features that make it easy to change the properties of lots of objects easily.

My favorite is the alignment markers that appear while moving things on screen. It makes neatness and alignment effortless.

I haven't got into the "pretties" yet. I used a couple of the library buttons "as-is" and some arrow symbols. The screen is bright and colors are clear. It matches what you see at design time. The only snag I had graphically was the uncontained Alarm Ticker.

I did make a trend screen and datalog, and it was effortless and it actually worked on the first try! I am not sure how much data I can log or whether I need to manage the file size, but it has about 25 hours worth of data in it that I can graphically navigate. I would expect that it's possible to extract that data remotely too?

The screen is very responsive too. When I built my cable to be installed on the macine, I had a buddy watch the screen while I touched the already crimped pins on the test rack SLC 5/04. I wanted to be sure I had 2 and 3 in the right spots before I snapped them in the DB9 shell. The instant I made connection, he said "there it is". The first time viewing each page, the tags would be "---" and would be populated with data within a second. There was a longer delay when losing comms before the data on screen would go back to that unknown state, but that is normal, and it recovered nicely from losing comms, and then having them restored, unlike the PV+600 which doesn't recover nicely and can require a reboot following a comms loss.

I need to remember to add a tag with a link to the system comms status to trigger an alarm...

I don't think we will waste any time at least converting our old RIO and DH485 PV standards to shiny new G3s. The PV+ app on our forming machines is the property of the OEM, but the boss is supposed to be getting us a confidentiality agreement signed and I would do the development myself if necessary before we get rid of the PV600 Pluses, but if I was asked tomorrow, I would go with the full blown G3 to replace the PV+, or at least a model with Ethernet and a memory card slot.

Paul

Paul,

sounds good to me.
I guess it is G306K for me or full blown G306.
Ethernet and also flash card for recipes and such.

I appreciate the feedback.

Paul,

sounds good to me.
I guess it is G306K for me or full blown G306.
Ethernet and also flash card for recipes and such.

I appreciate the feedback.

My two cents - we have been using the G3xx series for years and if you use a G310 or a G315, you'll never go back. The amount of screen real estate as compared to the G30x is amazing. Of course, the cost is higher, but the larger screens make for a really nice installation!

I understand that sometimes there just isn't enough information to justify a larger display but I've found that I can almost always find ways to use the extra room...