Simulator Input Module for Controllogix

Tim Ganz

i am trying to make me a home practice setup and i need a input module with some kind of switch.

I see in the older PLC5 therre is a simulator input module and i also found one for SLC but I am not seeing anything like that for Controllogix?

They are not for sale now but just thinking if there was one long ago maybe i could find it if i had a part number?

Anyone know if threy ever made one and why or why not?

There was (is?) one - the 1756-SIM module.
I used them years ago.
They were not very easy to get or to use. Also not well documented.
You would be better to use a DC input module and wire up a switch box.

like Mike_RH said ...

you'll be much better off just getting a regular input module - and building a "test set" yourself ... wall switches cost about $0.59 at Lowes ... nail a handful to a piece of 3/4" plywood - wire them up - and you're up and running ...

Last edited:
I did find some references to the 1756-SIM online and a few for a high price but no documentation.

I went to Lowes earlier and found an 8 gang metal box and I removed the wall mounting bracket and they had the individual covers that snap together as they had 5,6 and 8 gang boxes and I got a 10 pack of light switches for like eight dollars and change.

Perfect setup.

Thank you all for the replies now on to eBay to find an affordable input module would AC or DC be best?

most folks like 24VDC for training purposes because it's safer - but you have to have a power supply available ...

you can make the 120VAC "pretty safe" by wiring a 100 Watt incandescent lamp bulb in series with the L1-power lead ... it's sort of like wiring in a fuse - but handier for training purposes because a short circuit will "blow" a fuse - but with a lamp bulb - an accidental short circuit just makes the lamp come on full bright ...

you'll probably have to go back to Lowes and ask for help to find a 100 watt INCANDESCENT bulb ... they're illegal - except for "specialty" and "rough service" bulbs ... the Lowes stores down here keep them on the top shelf ... a fluorescent bulb won't work - but then you probably already knew that ... (feel free to ask if you're not sure) ...

WARNING! the "ballast" bulb won't keep you from getting shocked - but it keeps down the arcing and sparking effects while you're experimenting ...

Last edited: