FactoryTalk View SE V10- How to show part of string tag?

Tanquen

Not looking good but I want to simply show part of a string tags value but I see no way to do so a string display or text object. No text or string functions? Like MID in Excel or such.

It looks like the only thing you can do is add strings together. So if {#100} has the string “Sump Pump 23” I can add text:

{#100} + “ Running” and get “Sump Pump 23 Running”

But there is no way to simply display “Pump 23 Running”?

Unless you want to mess with VBA it looks like all you can do is add strings together.

I was able to use the string variable “Fixed number of characters” and “Right-most characters in sting are displayed” options to display the last 5 characters that I needed. So you can chop characters off the front only. Why add right but not mid or left???

If this is your first experience with Rockwell HMIs, it won't get any better. Their HMI products are very poor. You will find many examples of things they should do, but don't.

Why would I not want to use VBA?

It’s not as straight forward, there is just way more to do and worry about. You have to add extra objects and hope it don’t lockup or slow things way down. They have expressions and there should be a way to do it there. This is very expensive software that’s been around for ages and they (after like 10+ years) have not fixed the handles disappearing when selecting objects. We just had to add 10k points to the Historian and it was $45K. That is nuts and on and on. There are a number of simple issues they need to fix and it don't look like there ever will. Then there was the week we wasted trying to get OPC-UA to work and even if it worked, it don't because again, they did not fully/correctly implement OPC-UA. No joke, you have to restart it to add tags or make any changes to tags. Anyway...

In my case I’m using global objects and trying to use VBA with them is a mess. More of a mess than their implementation of global objects to begin with. I tried to use VBA in a global object earlier and it crashed the app and corrupted the global objects screen.

Last edited:
Why would I not want to use VBA?

It’s not as straight forward, there is just way more to do and worry about. You have to add extra objects and hope it don’t lockup or slow things way down. They have expressions and there should be a way to do it there. This is very expensive software that’s been around for ages and they (after like 10+ years) have not fixed the handles disappearing when selecting objects. We just had to add 10k points to the Historian and it was $45K. That is nuts and on and on. There are a number of simple issues they need to fix and it don't look like there ever will. Then there was the week we wasted trying to get OPC-UA to work and even if it worked, it don't because again, they did not fully/correctly implement OPC-UA. No joke, you have to restart it to add tags or make any changes to tags. Anyway...

In my case I’m using global objects and trying to use VBA with them is a mess. More of a mess than their implementation of global objects to begin with. I tried to use VBA in a global object earlier and it crashed the app and corrupted the global objects screen.

I totally feel you. Quote from rdrast which resumes it very well: "It is the most horrendously Kludgy software I've dealt with in a long long time, and getting progressively worse every release. " :D

The implementation of global objects in FTV is very very bad. I tried to use it a while to make things easyer for us, but at the end it created so many problems that we throw away that concept and we went back to copy paste the symbols, with the joy to change it everywhere manually if something changes.

If the customer let us, we normally use Zenon (from copa data) which has so many features compared to FTV, even if its a relatively new company.

What i dont understand is that so many customers (specially in the US) require their plants to run with FactorytalkView.
On the other side i dont unstand Rockwell that they are not willing to fix the problems in the software, as they obviously make a lot of money with it.

Because as long as they're making a lot of money with it, they don't have much of an incentive to put in the effort to make changes.